Bathroom flooring for tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is 18mm marine ply ok to screw down on a bathroom floor to the joist prior to tiling the floor? Noggings at 400mm and under all joins too.

I have 22mm floorboards running up to it so I figure that once electric UFH, adhesive and tiles are added it’ll be about the same level as my landing carpet.

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
prepping a floor for tile is best to be dead accurate. making up with SLC or adhesive can be a pain.
you dont work to carpet level you work to whats under the carpet eg subfloor level
whats down on the bathroom floor now,is it tand g boards?
what do you mean 22mm running up to it?

Thanks bob. So the whole area has had new joists due to how bad the previous owners had noticed them. Big job I know but nearly there now thank goodness.

So the landing (outside the bathroom door) has had 22mm PTG floorboards fitted to the joists. I’m wondering if 18mm ply in the bathroom will be A - Strong enough (if supported round the edges and noggins used every 400mm) and B - A good height for putting down electric underfloor heating, adhesive and porcelain floor tiles.

Just to confirm... I don’t have any existing floor down in the bathroom currently, just joists ready for the floor.

Thanks for your help & advice.

why not post photos of the door threshold and the bathroom floor ?
joists can be packed up to req'd height.
i take it thers no fixtures in the bathroom at the moment?

Sponsored Links
The bathroom is empty at the moment. It turns out my floorboards are 18mm and the ply I’ve bought for the bathroom was 18mm so the levels are the same. That should be ok I guess?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back