Laying tiles to Batton over underfloor heating mat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced old floorboards with 18mm structural ply and 10mm marmox.
Ply screwed every 300mm to joists/noggings and marmox bedded in adhesive with screws with big washers every 300 only into the ply (30mm screw)

I am about to lay a warmup heating mat and tile over. I usually layout the floor tiles so the cuts either site match then lay a batton to tile the full tiles to then afterwards remove batton and fit the cut tiles.

How can this work over the heating mat? is a Laser level best?

Pody

Sponsored Links
@pody make sure you lay a self levelleing screed over the UFH........its best practice, everything else you have done prep wise is spot on IMHO.

Level then you can put your baton down as you wish.

Thanks Lee,

I did look at doing that but my marmox does not extend fully under the bath so the self leveling would go everywhere. This would also raise the floor slightly.
Warmup state adhestive is fine straight onto the mat, i was going to make the mix a little looser to help to level out,

Don't mix it loose. Stick to the instructions. If its too loose, you will loose consistency and density, which could lead to failure. Mix it to the instructions, and if you're not going to use slc, spread the adhesive over the mat, AND the back of the tile with the serated edge of the trowel. You need 100% for even heat distribution and tile stability.

SLC is by far the best way. Why don't you wedge a wooden baton where the bath is and through the door way to stop overflow? It will make tiling so much easier.

Sponsored Links
After confirming with warmup that no self leveling is required over the mat I decided to tile straigh onto the mat
No major issues, buttered the tiles as well to help achieve best coverage :)
Im sure it would have been much easier to tile on the self level but due to increase in height and the trouble to setup the boxing in for the self level i decided not to bother

Laser level helped keep them in line, thanks for the suggesting Paul, if it was easier i would have used self leveling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back