Tiling over acoustic mat PLUS heating mat...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.
I am planning to lay acoustic mats in my flat and need to manage the build-up so I don't lose too much room height.

Bathroom plan
• Existing wood sub-floor - 20MM
• Acoustic mat (stiff rubber composition) - 15MM
• Tile backer board - 6MM
• Heating mat - 2MM
• Adhesive bed - 6MM
• Porcelain tiles - 9MM

Total build-up is 58MM

Living room etc plan
• Existing wood sub-floor - 20MM
• Acoustic mat (stiff rubber composition) - 15MM
• Insulation board - 6MM
• Heating mat - 2MM
• Engineered wood floor - 15MM

Total build-up is 58MM

I have spoken with suppliers of finished floor, tiles, heating elements and acoustic mats. It is difficult to get a direct answer on the correct build-up.

The heating mat supplier said that the tile backer board should be STUCK DOWN on ply. If this is right, how thick should that ply be? Is it sufficient to be very thin just to stop movement of the tile floor? (I gather the difference between the floors is that the engineered wood will be a floating floor system whereas the tiles need to be fixed). Could I reduce the adhesive bed to accommodate some ply?

Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Any thoughts whatsoever on this? There must be a tiler on here somewhere!!

Sponsored Links
Too many variables in your Q & possibly in your flat, to give a reasonable answer.
Perhaps you understand that when you raise the FFL then all fixtures should also be raised - eg some shower trays are les than 58mm in height: the WC: Doors trimmed: skirtings etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back