tiling directly onto 18mm ply-need sealing or mat etc first

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all-im in process of tiling my floor in my bathroom which was originally floorboard upstairs to which ive totally cleaned up and laid 18mmm hardboard ply over the top of the origina floorboards.

im also laying underfloor hetaing(electric mat type) over the ply-
im just after best process to do this in stages as ive bougt flexible adhesive.

is it best to lay thermal board down first or is it ok to lay electric mat firstly onto ply or is it best first putting down a screed directly onto the ply then underfloor heating on top.
is it best to pva first.

step by step instructions would be best.
thanx don

Sponsored Links
fix your ply at 150mm - 200mm centres, tape/fix your UFH mate in place, start laying your tiles, use a plastic serated spreader for your adhesive but be careful of the elements on the UFH, you could also periodically check the continuity of the UFH to make sure you have not damaged it before the entire floor is layed over it

in the warmup brochure it shows insulation board-is this reqd or is it a bit of a con as this is lifting floor even higher.

if i go directly onto the 18mm ply does the ply have to be sealed first to give grip(ie p.v.a or something silmilar)

also if i go directly onto the ply is it worth putting the mat down directly onto the ply then a flexible adhesive screed then tile or flexible adhesive screed first then mat then another screed then tile so as the mat is not directly onto the ply.

just want to get it right as once its down its down for life.
thanx don

Best way to fit ufh on 18mm ply is to router out 5mm deep groove and seal all ply with sbr NOT pva then fit the wire not bthe mat into the groove. The ply is a good insulator so no need for a backer board.

Then tile with BAL supercover flexi sticks like **** to a blanket, this reduces depth of adhesive to 5mm so no chance of tiles lifting

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back