Tiling on suspended timber floor, minimum height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an area that is on a suspended timber floor. Joists are 2x6 and 2m60 span. Joists at 400mm.

The floor has UFH fitted between the joists. I want to tile, but adding ply to the chipboard floor will affect the UFH and raise height too much. Are there any options that raise the height by less. Can I use 18mm ply directly on the joists, and tile directly on top.

Sponsored Links
Hello,
Particle board underlayment has the appearance of oatmeal but is actually made up of tiny wood particles glued and pressed into 4 x 8 foot sheets. It is NOT suitable to use as a Structural subfloor material.
Particle board can absorb excessive moisture is very brittle and does not hold nails very well. If this type of underlayment is present, it will have to be removed when planning to install a new floor such as tile or hardwood.
If desired, Particle Board Underlayment can be left in place if a Floating engineered wood floor or a Floating Laminate floor system is going to be installed over it.
However. the additional height of both the particle board and the new flooring may pose a problem with doors and appliances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back