Self levelling compound over old tile adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm taking up some 600x600 porcelain tiles on my bathroom floor and going to re-lay them with a different 600x600 porcelain tile. There is an underfloor heating mat which is set in to the existing adhesive and I'm pretty sure I can remove all tiles without damaging it. The tiles are on wbp ply and the floor is pretty level at present
Question is should I level the old tile adhesive with a self levelling compound before re-tiling and if so which brand would you recommend? Should I also prime the old adhesive before applying SLC? I want to raise the floor level by the minimum amount possible because of the low profile shower tray.

Thanks,

Angus.

Sponsored Links
There is a very good possiblilty you will damage the ufh when you lift the existing tiles .....so when lifted you will want to test the ufh with multimeter to see if still working....

And if so is working,use a latex based levelling compound over it then a good branded flexiable adhesive and grout...

Question.....

Why are you lifting them in the first place??

Are they popping/lifting from the floor?....

Sponsored Links
Thanks tictic, they came up pretty easily and I switched the ufh on afterwards and it's still working fine. I'm changing the tiles because my missus didn't like the colour of the first ones and she gave me the option of re-doing the whole bathroom or changing the floor tiles.... and the latter was cheaper!
Since I posted the original question I've gone ahead with applying the latex based slc and it went on a dream. Just waiting for the tiler to re-tile next week but so far so good :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back