Levelling/ sealing concrete floor for tiling

Tech department at Ball told me not to bother priming the concrete, just damp it down first is all they said is needed for the 900 DPM-prep. Theres quite a few pin holes, strangely not uniformly distributed across the floor - mainly in certain areas.

I noticed the other night when I spilt some water on the bare concrete, that alot of little air pops were coming up from the concrete through the wate, almost as if it had air trapped in it.

should i try and fill the pin holes with a bit of cement before applying the DPM?

Sponsored Links
i dont suppose you know the name of the person you spoke to at FBall do you?
The reason you have pinholes is because the floor was not primed. If using two coat dpm then give it the first coat and lets hope it covers the holes o.k and does not make the dpm pinhole. If it does then you will need to go out and get some araeldite (dont know how it is spelt) epoxy glue. The stuff in 2 tubes that you mix together. You will have to fill the holes with this and then give it the second coat.

i have just had a quick look at the 900 specs i have lying around and they do say that primer is not needed. This is there only product that says that tho and i find very strange as been used for a dpm prep! I will speak to them tomorrow and and get this changed i think as i dont agree with that at all. Its proved it with what has happened to yourself! Is there any chance you could send some pics to my email?

I'll try and send you some pics later today. Bit gutted if I could have avoided this by priming first, Ive got more than enough 131.

You dont think its worth filling the holes with something before doing the dpm then?

Sponsored Links
i dont think i would try to fill the holes due to this would be a weak point. Try the first coat of dpm. Lets hope it filles the holes.

i have just spoken to fball and they said this is there second complaint about 900 today. It wasn't you who phoned them this morning was it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back