Wood Floor On Uneven Tiled Concrete Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - bit of a mare.

I have a tiled concrete floor that is reasonably flat, but in no way, shape or form level. Probably slopes 15 cm in 6 meters from living room to dining room - and the slope isn't uniform.

I'm not sure there is a proper DPM under the concrete and think the tiles may be stopping some damp, but won't know unless I lift them up. I want to lay a hardwood floor - either solid or engineered wood in the easiest way possible, but also want to do a decent job - no point spending a few grand on wood if it looks rubbish in 2 years.

What would you suggest, have given some of my thoughts below;

-Lay floating wood floor onto tiles (I would worry it would shift around)?

-Put levelling compound onto tiles (what compound and would it crack)?

-Get tiles up, lay DPM if necessary and then lay levelling compound (would I need to get old tile adhesive up, or only tiles and what levelling compound would be best)?

I think the last option is probably the best, but obviously is the most hassle. The other problem is that the concrete under the tiles has a high sand content and is quite friable, so you get quite a crumbly surface on which to put a DPM or levelling compound, so this worries me too.

Let me know what you reckon!

Cheers,
Jim

I

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back