Levelling wonky wooden floorboards? Your suggestions please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We took the carpet up as the floorboards underneath were squeaky and have screwed them in. and cut out some new underlay as the last one was flat as hell.

It is also noticeable that the boards are quite uneven in places.

Any easy suggestions on how to make it more even?

My partner suggested we use an electric planner on the most noticeable edges (with screws removed)
But can these types of planers be used on floor boards in situ? I've only ever used the planner on edges that are less than the planer width.

or is there a gap filler, and then cover with some sort of levelling compound/latex?

Any suggestions massively appreciated! Thanks

2021-03-18 11.59.44.jpg 2021-03-18 12.48.41.jpg 2021-03-18 12.48.52.jpg 2021-03-18 12.49.01.jpg 2021-03-18 12.50.12.jpg 2021-03-18 13.01.35-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Unless floorboards need to be visible 12mm ply over the top, screwed at 100 to 150mm centres then self levelling compound as required

Last edited by a moderator:
Lift the boards that are sitting low, pack underneath or repair the joists where they’ve no doubt been hacked to bits, and resecure.

i am with "JobAndKnock" Plywood !!

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Pack underneath, rather than plane.
Then if you really do need to reduce the height of any sections of board, take it out of the back where it sits on the joist, rather than the face.

Thanks for the advice.. but if i am truly honest I was hoping for an easier job than plywood.. Only as it's only got to last a couple of years before I overhaul the upstairs. but ill take the advice on board and if I cant come up with another method that may have to do.

Pack underneath, rather than plane.
Then if you really do need to reduce the height of any sections of board, take it out of the back where it sits on the joist, rather than the face.

The boards have warped u shaped/ and diagonally etc in places so raising one bit to make that level, makes the other side even higher. I've looked underneath at some joists and there's metal in places so cant dig out but I think I can make some bits a tad better, but will still have to think about sanding/planning the extra high bits (if i go down that route)

Well, believe it or not, laying plywood is generally a lot cleaner and less work than sanding and planing, not to mention faster.

Plywood is the way ahead

Some of the areas of floor in the original images posted appear to be a "hallway?" subjected to high foot fall and as such no matter how much "fiddling" you do it will not match an overboard with ply

Ken.

Thanks for the advice.. but if i am truly honest I was hoping for an easier job than plywood.. Only as it's only got to last a couple of years before I overhaul the upstairs. but ill take the advice on board and if I cant come up with another method that may have to do.

The boards have warped u shaped/ and diagonally etc in places so raising one bit to make that level, makes the other side even higher. I've looked underneath at some joists and there's metal in places so cant dig out but I think I can make some bits a tad better, but will still have to think about sanding/planning the extra high bits (if i go down that route)
I'm suggesting to take material out of the back of the floorboard. Don't take anything off the joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back