LHC to shut down for a year to address safety concerns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another shut down!!! We're told by Dr Steve Myers that, 'It's something that, with a lot more resources and with a lot more manpower and quality control, possibly could have been avoided but I have difficulty in thinking that this is something that was a design error'? Why do you have difficulty in thinking that? He went on: "The standard phrase is that the LHC is its own prototype. We are pushing technologies towards their limits. You don't hear about the thousands or hundreds of thousands of other areas that have gone incredibly well. With a machine like the LHC, you only build one and you only build it once."

Well yeah! We don't wanna be building the bloody thing again! And that line 'The standard phrase is that the LHC is its own prototype.' Hmmm, that's not 'strictly' true is it? We've actually built similar machines (granted not as powerful), for a long time now... Bevatron, Tevatron. So why is it that Dr Myers has 'difficulty in thinking that this is something that was a design error'?

The report goes on: 'The atom smasher will reach world record collision energies later this month at 7 trillion electron volts. But the tunnel must be made safe before proton collisions planned at twice that level can commence.' Errm, so you're running this thing at 'half-maximum power before switching it off for a year to carry out improvements to the 27km tunnel.' Can I ask why you didn't build the tunnel to the required specification ie in order to allow the machine to run at 'full speed' in the first place?

This thing may or may not produce enough 'information' to allow scientists to work out how the universe was formed. It may or may not allow us to look at alternative power sources. It may or may not form black holes that swallow mass but it's certainly swallowed a huge sum of money so far and it looks likely to swallow a whole lot more! It may or may not be a total flop and give us very little 'extra information'. I just question it's worth but I hope my questioning is unfounded and it leads to great things.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8556621.stm

Sponsored Links
given that it's sub-teranian and the recent earthquakes and so on that have occured since it's switched on, there may have been un-planned for problems with the tunnels..
there's also the fact that the huge magnets and so on involved with the machine may be causing movement within the rocks themselves..
the half power collisions may be producing unexpected results that they need to now make adjustments to compensate for
or the sheer time it took to build means that some of the parts are already outdated and newer, better parts are available for upgrade..

going back to my first point, anyone think it's a coincidence that we've had all these big earthquakes and other events since they switched te thing on?

going back to my first point, anyone think it's a coincidence that we've had all these big earthquakes and other events since they switched te thing on?

I imagine that one of the prerequisites when choosing a site for a machine like this would be tectonic stability, ie away from plate edges.
Also how do you imagine that running a few zillion protons round inside a ring of super strong magnets could affect the movements of the earth's crust....on the other side of the world.

Sponsored Links
the earth's core is supposedly a large lump of iron.. and the outer core a large mass of molten metals, amongst which is a lot of iron..

large ring of uber-strong magnets? pulling the iron to one side a little bit causing pressure differentials?

have you not watched the film "the core"? :)

Come to think of it I haven't been able to find me watch since they turned that thing on. Probably stuck to the side of an alp.

Our washing machine mysteriously moves every time we put it on! :D

EDIT: I'm sure the car has moved a few millimetres to one side in the garage! This is worrying!!! :D

Talking of things moving there was a report on the news about the city Concepcion in Chile moving 10 ft to the west after the eartquake.But back to the LHD maybe there are stronger forces at work here.

maybe there are stronger forces at work here.

Like from the future :D

Na for my sins I have a sister inlaw who Is a professor of inorganic chemistry and regularly goes to CERN to smash accelerated particles into her latest crystal, beautifull photo's .
But give her a torch and some batteries she's completely fecked.

Looks like the big boys Hornby came off the tracks again.

I don't think the guys that built this wonder are really 100% sure about what they've built. On a documentry here one of the proffessors admitted that if it goes pear shaped they're not really sure what will happen.

Is that little pear or a really big pear? :eek:

Or maybe a really big mushroom. :rolleyes:

Talking of things moving there was a report on the news about the city Concepcion in Chile moving 10 ft to the west after the eartquake.

When the earth moves you get conception. :LOL:

@ColJack

Magnetic forces decay/fall away very quickly (logarithmically, I believe ) so even with such huge magnets, although you can probably measure their field strength at one km (?) , you certainly won't have your keys flying out of your pockets.

Effects far away ? I don't think so, otherwise cars all around Geneva would be stopping with their ignition/fuel-injection/anti-theft systems affected.

Sponsored Links
Back