life eh!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1689707846313.png

Sponsored Links
I have a degree, but it did not cost me anything, and to be frank never worked for wages since I got it, but that was more down to my accident and injuries as a result, who wants an electrician who is 20% disabled. It would make sense if 20% disabled one got 20% less wages, then one could compete with fully able sparks, but that is not the case, so why would anyone want to employ some one who can't do the work?

We have vocation, profession, and trade, often a vocation is low pay until nearly at the top, archaeologist for example, some are slowly moving from vocation to profession, nurse for example, and is why they have been traditionally low paid, and also trades and professions can merge a bit, in the main level 3 and below is a trade, and above level 3 is a profession.

But we want to see return on our investment, so the more the training has cost the worker, the more pay they expect, note cost the worker not the employer, be that low wages, or no wages, or having to pay out for training, not all degrees cost the same, nurses don't need to pay for their degree, neither does the clergy, but in both cases the job openings after getting their degree are some what limited.

The problem is when some thing stops one following one chosen job, be it Union closed shop system, now outlawed, or needing to be a member of any other club, for example the General Medical Council or electricians scheme membership, this is why we need multi schemes, if there was only one, it would be a closed shop, so illegal. The same applies to a driving licence OK may be only three weeks training, but still if some medical thing or other thing out of your control stops one doing the job, then it's a lot of money down the drain.

National employers are a big problem, be it fire, police, medical, coal board, or other, if you lose ones job, then little chance of finding another using your skills.

The problem is as a 73 year old I can see this, but as a school lever this was not talked about, many of my friends worked for British Steel and considered themselves as skilled, gantry crane driver for example, but who wants a gantry crane driver once you leave the steel industry?

Schools should teach about what it's like to have a tied training, what can one do as an atheist with a degree in theology?

I decided to try to go to university when I was 43 years old. I really wanted to be a social worker as I'd been in so many houses where I saw problems. I applied for a Social Work course and go told to do an access course at an FE college. I did that and applied to a university. I was the oldest student in my course (they put up all our dates of birth on the exam list).

I now have an honours degree in Psychology, a post graduate diploma in drug and alcohol counselling. I probably earned less that I would have if I’d stuck to my trade, but I am pleased I took up the challenge.

Since then I’ve retired and this life is even better but I keep working doing voluntary work. I might be 76 now but I plan to build some shuttering and pout half a tonne of concrete on Friday. If the weather is bad I’ll spend Friday sorting out a load of rewiring jobs.

Sponsored Links
Schools should teach about what it's like to have a tied training, what can one do as an atheist with a degree in theology?
Oi laffed at that there loin.

Trying my hardest to sound like Benny Hill.

what can one do as an atheist with a degree in theology?

You can have an informed argument with Doorstep evangelists, especially when they say things that are not true or are self-contradictory*

*all the time.

.... what can one do as an atheist with a degree in theology?
That's an interesting one. One certainly does not need a degre, but one does need to have a very good understanding of theology before one can really get even close to, rationally, be a 'confirmed atheist'.

I have always regarded 'confirmed atheists' as a bit odd, since they really need to have as much 'blind faith' in their view as do those who subscribe to a religion.

Agnosticism would seem (to me) to be the only rational position - since to 'dismiss' something on the basis of there 'not (yet) being any proof' and that it is 'beyond all credibility and common sense' is essentially dangerous - what do you think those around me back in the 50's/60s would have said/though if I had suggested what technological marvels most people would be carrying around in their pockets in the 2020s - I feel sure that most would have dismissed the suggestion as being 'beyond all credibility and common sense'.

Kind Regards, John

It seems we should tell customers the advantage of fitting a SPD and fit them as default, but the customer can say no I don't want one fitted, since not personal protection but equipment protection they can opt not to have them fitted.

The problem is I am not convinced we need them, so how can I convince some one else?

One of the biggest regrets in my life is not learning a trade after school. I was part of the generation Tony Blair pushed to go to University.

I have a big interest in history, so mentioned this to my teacher at the time and they said "right, get applying for History courses". I enjoyed it, but never really did anything with it and have been paying off a loan for the past 10 or so years.

Wish I'd just ignored my Dad's advice of "don't end up in a factory like your Dad" (although he was and is a skilled French Polisher!) and found a trade....

This country desperately needs 'producers', we have far too many 'none-producers'.

I still work to provide a vital service (for the NHS) in what I do, but yes I wholeheartedly agree. I think it was Tony Benn who said our economy is based on moving money around for a fee. Trouble is we never remained competitive and what we do make now tends to be niche and specific.

My Dad and his brother both worked in local industry, being talented men producing furniture and upholstery. That talent wasn't passed on and constitutes a loss of skill.

On a positive note, young lads are still going into the furniture trade here though, and there are still a good number of companies manufacturing stuff for domestic and abroad. We just need more doing it! It needs to become an option for those who don't want to stay in education until 18.

You can have an informed argument with Doorstep evangelists, especially when they say things that are not true or are self-contradictory*

*all the time.
I've had a few "informed arguments" with doorstep evangelists. They go this way. "P*** off, SLAM.

Agnosticism would seem (to me) to be the only rational position - since to 'dismiss' something on the basis of there 'not (yet) being any proof' and that it is 'beyond all credibility and common sense' is essentially dangerous -
What about fairies and Father Christmas?

what do you think those around me back in the 50's/60s would have said/though if I had suggested what technological marvels most people would be carrying around in their pockets in the 2020s - I feel sure that most would have dismissed the suggestion as being 'beyond all credibility and common sense'.
That's what Tomorrow's World did. I don't think people -
dismissed the suggestion as being 'beyond all credibility and common sense'.

Further education, should be an adjunct to the career you are already in and earning from, rather than further education as a first step on the ladder.

There is a difference between Education and Training.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back