life eh!

I know/knew an atheist that is doing his PhD. .... I know other people with masters in theology that are atheists. .... None of them have jobs directly related to their degree.
That's true of very many people. As I think someone said earlier, what subjects one chooses to be educated in does not necessarily relate to one's views or what one subsequently does in one's life.

A friend of mine is a Catholic priest, clearly a 'believer' in that religion, but studied theology and wrote a PhD thesis related to Islam.

A person who has been educated in Theology (not 'Divinity') is probably in a stronger position than most to make a decision to adopt an atheist, or, at least, agnostic, viewpoint. It's not necessarily ideal to 'reject' something about which one does not have a good understanding.

As you go on to say, there's a lot to be said for having a university education, regardless of what subject(s) one studies. Quite apart from all the parties etc. :)-) ), as you say, a fair amount of it relates to 'learning about learning' (and learning about ways of thinking and communication), with the subject matter of one's education much less important. Once one has 'learned to learn, think and communicate', one can fairly easily apply oneself to other subjects if/when one has to.

In fact, it is a fairly well-recognised fact that a good few of the most innovative/'revolutionary' thinkers (i.e. those who have brought about fundamental changes in our thinking, like many Nobel Prize winners) did their 'world-changing' work in disciplines different from those of their initial education - probably at least in part because they had not become biased ('brainwashed'?) by traditional thinking in the discipline they ended up working in.

As the government seems to currently be doing, It's easy to 'knock' those who undertake university studies in seemingly 'not very useful' subjects, but I think those who do that are perhaps missing some of the point. However, it is equally true that there are many alternatives to an academic education (like 'apprenticeships') which have an awful lot to be said for them in some contexts (like the discussion about nurses above).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Because, at least in my opinion, the important discussion should not relate to any specific religions, 'gods' or perceived images of beings who look like Father Christmas but, rather about the whole concept of "the supernatural" (essentially things which are currently totally beyond our understanding).
Exactly. As that is what most people think of as god, then surely it is quite valid to argue that such a thing is fanciful and does not exist; is it not?
Anyone can argue whatever they wish! ... but, yes, they could present that argument/view, but by so doing they would be unnecessarily restricting the scope of the discussion. They could widen it to viewing everything currently regarded as 'supernatural' as being 'fanciful' (and therefore doesn't exist - but history has taught us that dismissing something because it is 'beyond our current understanding' can be pretty dangerous.
Should that not also apply when disputing the existence of Father Christmas? They do look rather similar.
I think you are somewhat trivialising what should be an 'intellectual discussion' by repeatedly mentioning that - since it really is not something which (m)any people would view as 'supernatural'.

Kind Regards, John

I think you are somewhat trivialising what should be an 'intellectual discussion' by repeatedly mentioning that - since it really is not something which (m)any people would view as 'supernatural'.
I think that sums up quite well the blind belief that organised religion requires.

Sponsored Links
I think that sums up quite well the blind belief that organised religion requires.
No-one has ever denied that, have they?

All I said was that to be 'a confirmed (aka 'certain') atheist' one also had to have such 'blind faith'.

Kind Regards, John

What is rational about saying that you are never going to dismiss anything ever?
I said it was 'dangerous' - not that I (and others) never do it!

The problem is that if, rather than "not dismissing anything, ever", one decides to "sometimes dismiss some things", how does one decide which things to apply that to?

To stick with my technological analogies, if, a few centuries ago one had said anything about the advanced electronic technologies which exist in the 21st century, then I imagine that (to quote myself) most people would have 'dismissed' the idea on the basis that " there was 'not (yet) any proof' and that it was 'beyond all credibility and common sense' " - but they would, of course, have been 'wrong' to dismiss it.
There are a gazillion religions. Can they all (potentially) be truthful? Seems unlikely given that they differ so much.
Exactly. That's why I said at the very start that all of the 'formalised religions' are 'clearly nonsense'- so that the discussion should not be about them. What, in my opinion, does deserve some consideration is the concept underlying all of them, that there are some 'supernatural' factors at work (currently totally beyond our understanding) which the religions call 'a god', but which could be (to name but one possibility) something like a 'collective consciousness'.
I used to call myself agnostic, in part because I didn't want to be accused of being close minded, then I realised that those people that called me close minded were people that blindly believed in a god because someone else told them to.
Well, as we know, the 2021 census determined that, for the first time, more than half of the UK population described themselves as not having any religion - so if you're 'close minded', you are in very good company! It's probably still a bit different in terms of religions like Judaism and Islam but in terms of those in the UK who would traditionally have described themselves as 'Christian', I would imagine that the number of 'practising' ('Church-going') Christians in UK has probably dwindled to a very low level.

Mind you, that all leaves nearly half of the UK population claiming to subscribe to (hence, presumably, to at lest some extent 'believe in') some religion - but I suspect that a substantial proportion of those are probably 'god-fearing' ('just in case') rather than actual 'believers'.
And seriously... Noah was over 600 years old, dinosaurs never existed? I could go on, and on, and on.
Indeed - and that the earth (probably universe) is only a few thousand years old, and all life (as we know it today) was created more-or-less simultaneously in 7 days etc. etc. As I said, the specific 'beliefs'/teachings of most (probably all) of the formalised religions are clearly total nonsense - but that doesn't negate the possibility that there are relevant things which we currently 'just don't understand' (currently regarded as 'supernatural').
I don't have a problem with people wanting to believe something, that is their choice, but I reserve my right to question their position whilst they simultaneously question mine.
Of course, and exactly the same for me. However, I am perhaps a bit more 'open minded' than you, in that I feel inclined to 'question the position' of those who appear certain that there is nothing 'supernatural', just as (like you) I certainly also 'question the position' of those who have strong 'belief' in some specific religion.

Religious belief is an amazingly strong thing. I often tell the story of a friend of mine who was a highly respected and 'eminent' professor of a very scientific disciple and, as such, was notorious for relentlessly demanding 'rigorous proof' of anything one said, claimed or asserted [prior to becoming my friend he was once my 'examiner', and gave me a very hard time during an oral exam at uni !]. However, he was also a devout Christian (and a 'lay preacher' who, ironically, eventually 'dropped dead' whilst giving a sermon). I often tried to get him to reconcile those two positions, but without success - whilst, in every other context, he demanded 'rigour proof', he (obviously) could not provide any 'proof' to support his undoubtedly very strong belief in Christianity!

Rumour also has it that a good few people who would normally describe themselves as agnostic or atheist have been known to 'pray' when they consider themselves to be in 'mortal danger' (again, 'just in case'!).

Kind Regards, John

However, he was also a devout Christian (and a 'lay preacher' who, ironically, eventually 'dropped dead' whilst giving a sermon). I often tried to get him to reconcile those two positions, but without success - whilst, in every other context, he demanded 'rigour proof', he (obviously) could not provide any 'proof' to support his undoubtedly very strong belief in Christianity!

For very many, I suspect their belief simply gives them some comfort that there is 'someone' on their side and looking after their interests. That they are not alone in the world.

Rumour also has it that a good few people who would normally describe themselves as agnostic or atheist have been known to 'pray' when they consider themselves to be in 'mortal danger' (again, 'just in case'!).

Insurance, just in case :)

Having been brought up a Christian and being trained as an engineer I struggle with the idea of a god who exists but the allows several religions to exist (the Abrahamic religions) which all pretend to worship him (sorry my upbringing tells me it is a “he”). He also allows factions within those religions (Catholic, Protestant, huegenot, Sunni, Shia etc) and over time they then proceed to make war on other factions and other religions and kill each other’s members just for worshipping in a different way While at the same time teaching that all things are god’s creatures.
ergo he/she/it can’t exist and as I haven’t been struck by lightning yet I must be right!

But as Douglas Adam’s said (may not be the exact words) proof denies faith and without faith there is no god. Which means that if he exists then he is happy that all these factions are killing each other to demonstrate their faith - I want no part of a God like that.

No, I dont pray any more.

Noah’s years may have been considerably shorter than ours.

For very many, I suspect their belief simply gives them some comfort that there is 'someone' on their side and looking after their interests. That they are not alone in the world.
Very much so - religious 'faith', even if totally 'fanciful', can be very comforting, particularly for people who are facing acute danger or approaching the end of their life. I've seen countless people in that position, and there is no doubt that, in general, those 'with strong faith' cope with their situation much better (i.e. are 'comforted'). Indeed, as I've hinted, a good few 'previous non-believers' will 'turn to religion' in such situations - which is why they will often be asked whether they would like to see some sort of 'priest', even if they have declared themselves to be 'without religion'.

To tell people in that position that their ';faith' is 'fanciful'/nonsense/whatever would be doing them a disservice.

It's much the same with 'useless treatments'. If a person feels that they are deriving some benefit from some pill/potion/whatever solely because "they believe inn it" ('placebo effect'), even though there is absolutely no scientific evidence that it is beneficial, one would again be doing them a disservice by attempting to 'disillusion them' (unless, I suppose, the 'treatment' were potentially harmful).

As for how 'strong belief' arises in the first place, I fear it is because people have been 'brainwashed' at an (early) age at which they were unable to question it and hence "didn't know any different/better" - and, once established, those 'strong religious beliefs' can be very difficult to get rid of.

Kind Regards, John

Noah’s years may have been considerably shorter than ours.
Even further off-topic but, whilst you might be right, that's not necessarily the case (although I'm certainly not suggesting that he lived to 600!).

This was brought home to me when I was researching my family history, which I manged to do back to the 1600s.

It is certainly true that, over the centuries (even just the last century) the 'average' (arithmetic mean) life expectancy has increased considerably. However, this is largely due to distortion of the mean by the very high rates of infant/child mortality, and the very high rates of death due to pregnancy and childbirth in women in the past. What I found in my ancestry (and similarly for my wife's) was that if a male survived into adolescence he was quite likely to live for as long as people do today and, similarly, if a woman did not die as a result of pregnancy/childbirth-related causes, the same would be true of her. In both caes, the majority of people in those two categories in my ancestry lived into their 70s or 80s.

Don't forget that the notion of human lifespan being "three score and ten" years comes not only from the Bible, but the Old Testaments (Psalm 90) and that Psalm 90 is thought to probably be the oldest of the Psalms - maybe now nearly 3,500 years old.

Kind Regards, John

This was brought home to me when I was researching my family history, which I manged to do back to the 1600s.

It is certainly true that, over the centuries (even just the last century) the 'average' (arithmetic mean) life expectancy has increased considerably. However, this is largely due to distortion of the mean by the very high rates of infant/child mortality, and the very high rates of death due to pregnancy and childbirth in women in the past. What I found in my ancestry (and similarly for my wife's) was that if a male survived into adolescence he was quite likely to live for as long as people do today and, similarly, if a woman did not die as a result of pregnancy/childbirth-related causes, the same would be true of her. In both caes, the majority of people in those two categories in my ancestry lived into their 70s or 80s.

I did my paternal side, it maybe goes back to around the same. I was equally surprised by the size of the families and infant deaths, up until the 1920's. My parents offspring (me) were perhaps the smallest families. I got an impression that infant death rates peaked around the 1900's, maybe a result of poor living conditions/industry etc..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back