Life Laundry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Used to watch this. Where people would empty their house of all their possessions then choose one of three places for each of them to go:

Back in the house

Skip

Charity shop/ sell

After over 22 years of living at our current address, I have started sorting stuff out.

One of these items I have come across is a box of stuff given to me by my Dad after his Mum died.

I'm not sure if this stuff has a value or where to take it for appraisal.

The jug handle/ spout is hallmarked. I can't see any hallmarks on the spoons. Two of the spoons are damaged. The two carved items I think are ivory. Apparently I can sell these if they predate 1947. But I have to prove it, which I cannot.

My parents worked for many years in Bangkok from 1960 onwards, and brought back various things.

The ivory items may well be Thai (but could easily be older than 1960s), as is the lacquered picture and possibly the silver (plated/ coloured?) belt buckles. One has SIAM stamped on the back.

The oddity is what looks like a 1960s desk stand for a microphone, whose only mark is "SA9".

Would you just rock up at an antiques dealer to ask for an appraisal?

Thanks.

IMG_20211010_124022_000.jpg

Sponsored Links
souvenir teaspoons are often sold on ebay. Sadly they are often sentimental items from a deceased estate. Any buyer has no such affection for them and they may be valued as scrap. If not hallmarked you must assume they are not silver (items sold as "silver" in UK must be marked). many countries have a grade lower than "sterling" and may not have a strong quality testing and enforcement structure. They may be appreciated more by a family member who uses them as teaspoons.

the jug thing looks like plate to me, but can you show a close-up of the mark?

True silver will polish up to a brilliant whiteness (use pink Silver Foam and a soft white cloth) and leave black tarnish on the cloth.

True ivory can be identified under a microscope by the cell structure (alternative materials are often found). I think as it is difficult to sell, they are often passed on to family or friends.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
quite so

1838-1890.gif
1887M.gif

there is a chance somebody might want it on ebay
though I think it unlikely

it has the look of quite a heavy piece

You could take it to a silversmith/jeweller and ask them for a true appraisal rather than just going by what things sell for on E-Bay or someone's opinion on Google.

Sponsored Links
Back