Life of a valve-regulated lead-acid battery?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mothers stair lift, her pedestrian controlled electric wheel chair, her occupant controlled electric wheel chair, and mobility scooter all used valve-regulated lead-acid batteries.

As does my hedge cutter and many other motor applications.

The pedestrian controlled electric wheel chair had no battery charger when we got it and the battery was flat. Each time I have used it the range seems to extend I assumed sulphated plates.

The scooter is now some 10 years old and still going strong and the other wheel chair is not that old.

The stair lift seems to get 4 years out of a set of batteries and my hedge cutter only managed 2 years.

What I wonder is if not using the battery is causing premature failure? Would using the pedestrian controlled electric wheel chair battery for both hedge cutter and wheel chair extend or reduce it's life?

To me 4 years for the chair lift batteries is rather a short life. They are float charged at 27.4 volts and only used about one a month and I wonder if the lack of use has reduced battery life?

Sponsored Links
If they are not being used and left idle, it would be advantageous to keep them charged up.
It's a bit confusing, since eric is talking about so many batteries and appliances, but it sounds as if at least the chair lift ones are kept permanently charged:
...They are float charged at 27.4 volts and only used about one a month and I wonder if the lack of use has reduced battery life?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back