Battery charger power requirement VRLA 24 volt.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mother has an electric wheel chair and I have plugged it in after each use to recharge with what looks like a switched mode charger.

I had been doing some tests in the garage which were completed but so I do not lose the plug in energy meter I plugged it into a socket and plugged the wheel chair back in through the energy meter, curious I looked at power being used, remember the chair has only been off charge a few minutes.

69W quarter of an hour latter 55W, this seems a huge amount to keep to valve regulated lead acid batteries charged, 24 volt not sure AH would guess around 20 what do you think?

Sponsored Links
69W quarter of an hour latter 55W, this seems a huge amount to keep to valve regulated lead acid batteries charged, 24 volt not sure AH would guess around 20 what do you think?
Does it draw any power if you disconnect the batteries?

Kind Regards, John

upload_2017-10-10_16-44-38.png
Slowing power used over an hour, seems a bit high when chair charged to start with, unplugged wheel chair from charger 5W ratted at 8A but green light showing which it says means charged.

Sponsored Links
Dropped to 20 watt now,
upload_2017-10-10_20-12-33.png
however it was only off for a few minutes I suspect faulty batteries, they do an annual check, but don't test batteries, it is not used much, but if the batteries fail it is rather heavy to push.

It would seem that the battery had not be float charged for some reason as this was the display this morning, it had gone to 5 watt which it also uses when unplugged. So no worries.
Average_Hourly_Usage_battery_charger_chair.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back