VRLA or AGM battery in a UPS, chances of being able to recharge?

It seems very slow, but it is starting to absorb more energy
1661303828639.png
the switching between the two charge rates is effectively pulsing the charge, which seems to be a regular method of reviving lead acid batteries. The worry is battery cell going short circuit, if that happens then charge will go to 0.8 amp, which would over heat the battery if left.

A battery converts electrical energy into chemical energy, an action which does not produce heat, but if that electrical energy is not converted to chemical energy then only other option is it is converted to heat. With my mobility scooter one cell failed so the charger did not switch off, and as a result it baked the other cells, including the six cells in the good battery, being 24 volt there were two batteries.

Main problem with the mobility scooter is the batteries need to be on the scooter to charge them, with my e-bike I can remove the battery and take just the battery in doors to charge and leave bike in the back of my car, but with the mobility scooter had to take whole scooter in doors to charge. Poor design.

Sponsored Links
Main problem with the mobility scooter is the batteries need to be on the scooter to charge them, with my e-bike I can remove the battery and take just the battery in doors to charge and leave bike in the back of my car, but with the mobility scooter had to take whole scooter in doors to charge. Poor design.

Using the scooter's own charger - yes, but nothing to stop you using a normal 12v smart charger, to charge one or the two batteries at a time. You can do that on the scooter, or take the battery of the scooter.

I agree they don't make it easy to remove the batteries, but why would they need to, for most owners? Most owners simply park the scooter up and plug into the official charger. Mine is kept in the garden hut, which has power. It is unused, so I just plug it in to it's auto-charger every so often, just to make sure the batteries are fully topped up.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back