Lifted loose parquet, parts of sub-floor blown, how to patch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently started renovating a dining room, the parquet floor had been covered with a carpet for years and I was looking forward to sanding and re-finishing it.

Once I'd lifted the the carpet a few spots of the floor had a loose sound when knocking on it but there wasn't much movement in the boards themselves. Neverless curiosity got the better of me, I tried to prize out a couple of loose bricks and must have gotten carried away...before I knew it I'd lifted the whole floor (bar the border blocks which are solid). Fast forward a few weeks of scraping the bitumen off the back of the blocks, today I got to giving the sub floor a bit of a scrap to remove any substantial bitumen remnants on there.

I had noticed that in one small spot the concrete sounded a bit blown, it felt solid but definitely sounded suspect. I gave it a couple of light whacks with the unfriendlier end of a crowbar and the concrete has definitely failed. I really want to avoid having to re-slab the whole floor.

- If I remove the dodgy area of concrete (I don't think it's particularly thick) can I patch with a cement based product?
- I was thinking of a flexible tile adhesive, or am I better with a bag of readymix concrete? Would I need to prime any of the edges of the concrete prior to patching?
- The area is no more that 2'x1', I think the bitumen must have been acting as a DPM too, I've got a big tub of Sika 5500s and a bottle of Sika Rapid DPM. Is the correct process to patch level and then paint on the DPM?

Pics below with offending area highlighted. The pictures don't seem it, but the floor is very dry.

Attachments

• IMG_20171231_173838a.jpg
    IMG_20171231_173838a.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 382
Sponsored Links
You want to use sharp sand and cement (4:1) then wet the floor, and smooth it over. The bitumen will have acted as a dmp, so you need to check if the floor is damp before you decide on your next step.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back