Parquet panic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just ripped up the carpet to find the (anticipated) 5 finger parquet (1960s). Pretty sure its a hardwood - not sure which - mahogany / teak maybe.

The carpet underlay was stapled into the floor across the room so any blocks with staples in came up with the underlay. The middle of the floor seems generally stuck down okay (as far as i can tell from knocking.

The carpet gripper bars are nailed into the parquet around the perimeter and so the bars pull up these blocks too - with others around them becoming loose.

One side of the room is fully glazed to the garden and here in particular lots of the blocks are loose to the point the you can just lift them away. The bitumen is fairly thin on the blocks and left behind is a layer of paper. This is stuck (or in some areas - not stuck) to the screed with more bitumen, but it is not super thick.

So the question is....what to do. Patch repair / glue back all loose areas (sika rapid dpm followed by sika 5500s adhesive ?) and then sand/seal ? Or tear up the whole lot ?

Im guessing that the edges of the slab/screed - particularly against the big window edge are getting more temperature change - hence why the adhesion has become particularly bad in these areas. My concern is that if i spend hours patch fixing and then get a sander on it more blocks will start to vibrate loose across the whole floor.

Hope someone can advise...

IMG_5173.JPG
IMG_5193.JPG
IMG_5195.JPG

Sponsored Links
I would remove the lot and put some floor leveling compound down and lay the new floor covering when dry.

and if yoiu do decide to screed, check that the floor is ok re: moisture, and you MUST use a screed suitable for use over bitumen, something like Ardit NA, most screeds cannot be used directly over bitumen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back