Lifting Karndean is removing self levelling compound, is this normal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we’ve had to take up some Karndean floor to re-lay some flooring to fill some additional space that appeared when we installed a new door.

However, when we’ve taken up the Karndean, the underlying floor (self levelling compound) has come away.

30DD378A-8099-4400-BE58-959CED42F65B.jpeg

I might have expected some residue from the adhesive and perhaps a small amount of damage, but it appears the floor is being taken up with the Karndean. A heat gun has been used to loosen the adhesive.

Is this normal? And if not, what could be the likely cause? It also seems the self levelling compound is “flaking” and comes away from the floor very easily, you can see an image of me holding it in my hand.

D0A45985-4B07-4003-9754-F0A5F2622DA1.jpeg

Appreciate any help, very new to all this.

Sponsored Links
I have got same lifting a glue down vinyl, small patches of what looks like self levelling sticking to some of underside of vinyl. Have got all vinyl and adhesive off using mixture of heat gun, Goo Gone glue remover and a good scraper. Just need missing areas filling in.
Not sure whether to use self levelling or concrete repair. Coming away of the self levelling seems quite easy to achieve.

Very much depends on local conditions and the quality of the screeding products/prep in the first place.

If it's lifting easily, it maybe that primers were'nt used originally.

Or a damned good glue was used. I know in my place the top thin screed/ self levelling is at max 3mm deep so if not bonded very well would probably not take much upward force to remove it.

Sponsored Links
That looks like a sub floor that needed grinding and wasn’t. Maybe not primed correctly as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back