Light bulb always on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey

So I have a light at the top of the stairs that always gives off a faint light, even when it is off (pic attached). My first assumption was an issue with the electrics, so I swapped in a different bulb and this didn't happen with the other bulb. I've tried three other bulbs now and they all switch off completely. So maybe it is the bulb? But screwing this bulb into a different light doesn't produce the same effect.

Not sure what to make of this.
20230205_193611.jpg

Sponsored Links
The light in the attached pic makes it look much brighter than it actually is! The first time I saw it I wasn't sure it was still giving off light, it is quite faint.

Sponsored Links
Do you have two way switching - a switch at the bottom and one at the top of the stairs?

The bulb - not sure

The light - nope, just a switch

It's the bulb I meant.

I expect you have a tiny amount of electrical "leakage" usually by capacitive coupling in the cable. More common with 2-way switching. There are some ways round it, but easiest just to find a lamp that doesn't do it.

It's the bulb I meant.

I expect you have a tiny amount of electrical "leakage" usually by capacitive coupling in the cable. More common with 2-way switching. There are some ways round it, but easiest just to find a lamp that doesn't do it.
Okie doke, so I should just swap the bulbs?

Is it an issue/potentially dangerous?

Don't try this at home ;)

Not an issue at all, some actually like it as a sort of night light!
The more expensive bulbs that I have bought, don't tend to glow - possibly with a built in snubber resistor/capacitor.
If you really want to stop the glow, but keep the bulb, you can buy a capacitor to mount in the ceiling rose - although the effort isn't usually worth it :)

Thanks!

It doesn't bother me at all honestly, I was just worried it was a sign of dodgy electrics.

Thanks!

It doesn't bother me at all honestly, I was just worried it was a sign of dodgy electrics.
It's not even costing you any more money in electricity. The tiny current was always there, just dissipating quietly through the old bulb, without you knowing :)

With AC when wires are placed close together you can get inductive and capacitive leaking, so bulbs have leak resistors to dissipate this, but the size of the resistors vary, so you can see a glow with some bulbs, but there is no problem with this.

It's not even costing you any more money in electricity. The tiny current was always there, just dissipating quietly through the old bulb, without you knowing :)
The resistance of a cold tungsten bulb is very low giving a very small IR loss. With an LED the resistance is higher giving a higher IR loss. There is no loss in the capacitive coupling in either case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back