Light circuit switched off - water leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had my first floor bathroom light buzz before it popped and took out the the lighting circuit for the whole house at the main fuse board.

This was due to temp water leaking from the second floor bathroom down to the first and presumably down from the ceiling lamp holder.

I've switched the main light circuit on again and other lights are back on. I've flipped the first floor bathroom pull string over the shower curtain rail so my elderly parents don't use it.

But I just want to know, how dangerous is the current situation if I heard a gurgling sound before it popped and I smelled a burning after the pop sound? The led regular bulb style has not exploded with glass everywhere so might be inside the bulb bits have gone?

Is the electrics safe with me having turned the lighting circuit switch on again and what should I now try and do during the day - change the bulb? I haven't tried to pull the light cord since it blew. I'm not sure if water is sitting in the bulb holder.

Thx.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the circuit is on an MCB protected by RCD and the trip caused by the water shorting or earthing... It will smell and there may be burns. You need to get it looked at if you aren't comfortable yourself, but once its dry and provided nothing got burned out, it should work fine. The protection in your consumer unit is pretty good (assuming it is an RCD/MCB)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back