Light dimming hairdryer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted a dimmer switch to my bathroom, when it is on the lowest setting (quite dim) and you turn the hairdryer on it dims slightly, as soon as you turn the hairdryer off it brightens slightly again.

Its only when its being dimmed, at full brightness its fine, also the lights are on thier own circuit, its a new house built in 2013, why the temporary dip in brightness?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just noticed it dips randomly every now and then on the lowest setting, not very often though, i know the bulbs high enough wattage for the dimmer (dimmer needs 60 minimum for halogen and the bulb is 77)

The dimmer is probably a bit too sensitive to mains-borne radio-frequency interference, and the hairdryer is producing a bit too much.

The dimmer is probably a bit too sensitive to mains-borne radio-frequency interference, and the hairdryer is producing a bit too much.
Nothing to be concerned about though, i.e. not a fire risk etc??

Sponsored Links
I can never understand why anyone would want a dimmer in a bathroom of all places!

I fitted a dimmer switch to my bathroom, when it is on the lowest setting (quite dim) and you turn the hairdryer on it dims slightly, as soon as you turn the hairdryer off it brightens slightly again.
I take it that all was well when it was just an on/off switch?

What happens if you plug something else into that socket, e.g the kettle?

I take it that all was well when it was just an on/off switch?

What happens if you plug something else into that socket, e.g the kettle?
Noticed it is doing it randomly still with just a lcd tele in the adjacent room so not just the hairdryer, a lot more random dimming though with just the tele on

FWIW, in my experience it's pretty common with any dimmer for the lights to show spontaneous jumps up and down in brightness when the dimmer is at a very low ('dim') setting.

Kind Regards, John

I can never understand why anyone would want a dimmer in a bathroom of all places!

I can sort of understand - if you're having a long bath sometimes it's nice to have low mood lighting. Some people use candles and switch off the main light but a dimmer might have a similar sort of effect..

Particularly if you've lit the room with torch beams that will blind you when you lie in the bath and look up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back