Light fitting- no earth or room for Chock block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Searched and can’t find this specific scenario so hoping for guidance

I have a garage with 4 standard strip lights. Want to replace one with an led. The problem is the fitting doesn’t have a connector for the earth.

I’d normally use a chock block but there also isn’t enough room inside the connector to fit on!

what’s the best resolution for this- heat shrink and tape up the earth or have a separate junction box before the light to terminate the earth or something else?

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Is there really not enough room in the fitting for a single connector block ??

Is it one of them cheapo flat things off Ebay/Amazon? If so it won't last anyway. Put the old fitting back up :)

LOL @ fluoresence.
Could it be that the new light is class 2 and doesn't require an earth? In which case just make sure that installing it doesn't mean that you have to break the loop in your earth to your other lights.

Sponsored Links
Yup- really isn’t any room for a chock block- there’s a connector unit at the end of the light that screws on (It’s IP65 rated) and this connector has no room.

the lights are running in parallel from a central connection so this shouldn’t affect the earth circuit for the others.

I wouldn't worry about earthing them then. Just sleeve the earth and fold it over so it's insulated and doesn't catch anything.

But sleeve it AS an earth wire.
If you sleeve it in a 'live/neutral' colour someone, one day, may simply connect it and make a mistake. (Yes, these sort of people do exist)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back