Extending a ring main for extra socket chock block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like to add an extra socket by extending my ring main as opposed to adding a spur. I know this makes the whole exercise (slightly) more complex, however, I would prefer to do it this way.

The only problem I have at the moment is that I have strawboard walls, which makes it slightly difficult to mount a junction box to hook up the extra cable to go to the new socket. A junction box is essentially too big and the wall would also not be thick enough for it to be secured sufficiently. Also the existing cable is so securely fixed in the wall (possibly pre-installed) I am unable to simply pull some more through.

Instead, I would like to use something like chock-block, positioned inside the metal mounting box of the existing single socket, to extend the cable to run to the new socket. I understand, however, that this may not be allowed for safety reasons.

This got me thinking that I could mount the chock-block inside a choc-box, and secure this inside the existing socket's metal mounting box. In similarity with the junction box idea though, the choc-box would be too large to fit inside the single-sized mounting box.

I then thought that perhaps I could use a ceramic chock-block, positioned inside the existing mounting box, which seemed like the most agreeable solution and, perhaps, safer than the plastic chock-block equivalent as if it overheats for some reason, it won't melt. The main problem I can see with this, though, is that as far as I understand chock-block or similar types of connectors have to be securely mounted.

Would anyone be able to advise me on legal ways of extending mains cable that are compliant with the current regulations? As I have said, I would ideally like the connectors (whatever ones they may be) to be mounted inside the existing socket's mounting box, however, if this is not allowed then clearly I will have to think of an alternative method.

If anyone could help I would be extremely grateful. Sorry for rambling one.

Thanks
Russ
(usr33t)

Sponsored Links
Can you take piccys or draw a plan of the situation?

Hi,

Thanks for reading the post. I will try and get some images uploaded. I guess the main question is;

Is it acceptable to use chock-block connectors, housed within the metal mounting box of an existing socket, as a way of extending the mains cable to another socket? I know chock-blocks aren't pretty but as long as they would be safe used in this way, that is the main thing.

Thanks again for your interest

Russ

use crimps andd a decent ratchet crimper, no worries then

Sponsored Links
Thanks Breezer,

I think I was leaning that way.

Do you know if the current regs state whether connectors have to be securely mounted if housed within the mounting box? As far as I can see, as long as they're properly insulated then that is all that really matters.

Thanks again
Russ

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Looking at the various types of crimp available, the butt type look like they'd be the most appropriate. Do they come in different "current-ratings" like chock-block?

Yes and they are colour-coded per cable size. You need blue ones

Red 0.5mm-1.5mm². Blue 1.5mm-2.5mm². Yellow 4.0mm-6.0mm².

Thanks JohnD,

Final question. Sorry...want to make sure I do a decent job.

Is it okay for these connectors to be "loose" inside the mounting box?

Thanks
Russ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back