Replace socket with fused spur to extend cable ?

3 Jan 2008
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I've currently got a bit of a dilemma...

I have a flush mounted socket which I no longer need to use but would like to extend the cable from this further up a wall to provide a double socket to provide power for a wall mounted LCD TV.

As the existing socket face is visible I would somehow like to blank it but extend the existing cable further up the wall.

Is there such a thing as a flush mounted junction box that will just screw into the position where the socket is ?

Alternatively is it possible to use a flush fused spur to extend the existing cable ?

Or is it possible to simply use a 30A rated "choc bloc" & fit a blank instead of the socket ?


Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
yes but you must use the large 30A size, and put the blanking plate so that the JB is not concealed and is accessible for inspection and maintenance (screwed connections sometimes loosen over time)

Provided the old socket is on the ring and is not a spur, IMO it would look better if you kept a socket there and spurred off for the new socket. A socket looks less odd than a blank plate and may be useful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local