Light Fitting over Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently renovating a bathroom and have installed a larger shower cubicle than was there before.

The result is that one of the light fittings is now partially over the enclosure, which seems a bit dodgy.

As far as I see it I have 3 options:

1. Downgrade the lighting to 12v - pain in the bum
2. Move the fitting - pain in the bum too
3. Get some kind of water-resistent (or even waterproof) fitting. If such a thing exists?

SO... does anyone know the regs. for this? Common sense tells me not to leave it as it is.......

Sponsored Links
how high off the floor of the cubicle is the ceiling?

You want the leaflet showing zones within a bathroom, and what can be fitted on each. I saw it on here. let me see if I can find the URL.

edited to say, as below, well done, Mr. Adam .

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses - the NIC-EIC leaflet seems to spell it out.

The height of Zone 1 is 2.1m to 2.3m (it's a stepped ceiling over the shower enclosure), with the current light fitting on the 2.1m bit.

I guess the point of these regs. is to stop you spraying water in to the light fitting and frying yourself, but they do state that you can have 'fixed current' equipment in Zone 1 - is this 240v?

The only fittings I have seen that allow them to be placed in Zone 1 AND in the line of fire of a water jet are 12v ones. If allowable, do you know of any 240v fittings that can go here (I think they are classified as IP4X?).

Then there's the circuit breaker - regs. again state you should use a 30mA RCD to protect the circuit (and you). If the fitting is part of the upstairs lighting circuit, is it OK to protect the whole of upstairs with this RCD, or does the bathroom lighting need to be separated?

This all gets very complex....maybe I should have stuck with the old, badly wired bathroom (it used to have an electric shower too) and got that feeling of excitement and uncertainty each time I used it, knowing this shower could be my last.....

I have a similar situation, it seemed to me that a 12v fan was the easiest way to comply, with the transformer and switch fixed high up on the wall, to the side and out of zone 2.

edited to say, sorry, for some reason I started thinking about fans, not lights.

If you replace this light fitting with a dfferent type of fitting, the work is notifiable to building control as its alteration work not like for like.

"...the work is notifiable to building control as its alteration work not like for like."

Yeah, but nobody bothers with that do they.
It means you have to pay another council 'stealth tax'.

TT

Have you factored in the scam fees over 52 weeks?

Have you factored in the time for lost earnings during days wasted due to assessments/inpsections?

Have you factored in fuel use and vehicle wear and tear driving to and from assessments/inspections?

Have you factored in the time taken for the notification process - sitting doing extra paperwork - and I don't mean BS7671 certs etc - I mean scam notifications.

Works out much dearer than £1.50 I can tell you.

Have you factored in the time for lost earnings during days wasted due to assessments/inpsections?

Are you telling me that you didn't do this prior to Part P, shame on you.

Perhaps Part P has done some good.

No, not talking about BS7671 paperwork.

And if you're with NAPIT It's £2.20+VAT each for ALL jobs, not just notifiable ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back