Shower or Regular Down lights in bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am refurbishing a bathroom and want to fit GU10 down lights with LED bulbs. Question is do I have to fit fire rated shower down lights everywhere in the bathroom or can I use regular fire rated down lights everywhere except those that go over shower cubicles or the bath? In my case only 2 down lights will go over a bath or shower and the other 6 will be in open areas.[/u]

Sponsored Links
What zone will the lights be in? //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:bathroom_zones

That will determine the IP rating.

Is the bathroom ceiling a fire barrier? if not then fire-rated fittings are pointless.

BUT your fittings must comply with Building Regulatyions Part C to prevent steam being drawn into the roof space, where the condensation will rot your roof timbers. And you do not want that.

Fire rating has nothing to do with the bathroom it's the area above the bathroom which says if fire rating is required.

A GU10 lamp holder can still take a halogen lamp so has to be installed in a way that a halogen would not produce a danger, the L2 version although you can't fit halogen lamps many of the LED lamps have not got the hole in the base so will not fit either.

Fire rating has nothing to do with the bathroom it's the area above the bathroom which says if fire rating is required.

Sorry, Eric. I have to disagree. It is not what is above the room. The need for fire-rated downlights is to maintain the fire resistance integrity of the surface that has been penetrated.

If the ceiling is only a 30 minute one (ie single sheet of plasterboard) then there is no point putting in 60 minute fire-rated fittings. If the surface is part of a fire compartment (eg between flats) then it is definately required.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back