Light Fitting Resonance!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a light fitting (photo below) which is making a very low volume "buzzing" sound even when the lights are off. This changes slightly in pitch and volume when the lights are turned on. Really not sure what is going on as there are no electronics involved so I think it must be some form of resonance. Any ideas on how I can stop it?

20230316_172643.jpg

Sponsored Links
One cannot imagine how a "light fitting" can make "a very low volume "buzzing" sound even when the lights are off."
There must be some other source of the "buzzing" or
the "light fitting" is not actually OFF.

Why do you have one (apparently) non-functioning Incandescent lamp in this fixture, together with four other (unsuitable and unattractive) LED "candles"?

Lamps such as these "Filament" LED Candles (with appropriate "bases") are much more attractive, long lasting and efficient.

Why do you have one (apparently) non-functioning Incandescent lamp in this fixture,
It looks to me as if it's a halogen candle.bulb - which leads me to the question - does the OP have a dimmer switch for this light fitting?

Could it be a loose connection in the loop in loop out for next light (if wired that way ) so if any light turned on after that point could cause that buzz/arc sound

Sponsored Links
Really not sure what is going on as there are no electronics involved
The LED lamps have built in drivers that control the amount of current that flows through the LED elements in the lamp. These drivers are electronic modules.

Depending on their design and quality of build these drivers can create "noise". If the switch for the light(s) is a no neutral dimmer or "smart" switch then there will be some current flowing through the lamp(s) even when the switch is OFF. This may be enough current to create some noise in the lamp(s).

Ok, so, here is an update.
Firstly, don't get too upset by the mix of different lamp types - this is a house I am completely gutting and extending so any lamp mix-match is temporary.
The photo was taken with the light off so the halogen candle is a worker (the others are candle LEDs). There is no dimmer or smart switch.
Anyway, this morning I decided to experiment and it doesn't matter if it is a halogen or LED lamp fitted but if there was at least one lamp present (tried one lamp in several fittings and got the same result) then the noise persisted - remove all lamps and no noise - not really unexpected.
Now the strange part - I refitted all lamps in a completely random order and now no noise!
I still think that there was some form of induced resonance somehow.

.... Anyway, this morning I decided to experiment and it doesn't matter if it is a halogen or LED lamp fitted but if there was at least one lamp present (tried one lamp in several fittings and got the same result) then the noise persisted ....
Just to be clear ... does the noise persist if there is just one light fitted and that one light is NOT an LED?

Kind Regards, John

John. I tried both the LED and halogen lamps and it made no difference I e with one lamp fitted of either type the noise was present. What I don't understand is why the noise has now gone just by me changing the position of the lamps. If I feel inclined, I might experiment further and move the lamps around to see what happens.

John. I tried both the LED and halogen lamps and it made no difference I e with one lamp fitted of either type the noise was present. What I don't understand is why the noise has now gone just by me changing the position of the lamps. If I feel inclined, I might experiment further and move the lamps around to see what happens.
Fair enough.

I don't think you answered the question about the switch which controls these klights - is it a standard ('mechanical') switch, a dimmer or some new-fangled electronic one (such as a 'touch' switch or 'mart'/WiFi one)?

Kind Regards, John

Hello John. Yes i did mention that it is a standard mechanical one way switch. Must surely be something to do with induction I think.

Hello John. Yes i did mention that it is a standard mechanical one way switch. Must surely be something to do with induction I think.
Sorry, I missed that. If it's a standard mechanical switch and you get the noise with just one halogen lamp plugged in, then that is very odd indeed.

Kind Regards, John

No problem. Yes I agree - very strange. I will have a little play and will post what I find.

So, had a little play today and found that with one particular fitting (chosen at random), if I removed the lamp then the sound started (in that fitting - buzzing sound). Replace the lamp (I tried two and it made no difference which one I used) and the sound stopped. Not sure if I would have achieved the same if result if I had chosen another fitting. It's not very consistent!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back