Light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have tried to replace a light fitting today. It seemed simple, although I cannot get the light switch to switch the light on and off. I have red, black & earth coming from the light switch and the same coming from either the consumer unit or another light fitting. (Just the two sets of wires!) Any suggestions. PS. Have tried connecting blacks to connectors either side of light fitting wires as was before and connected the two reds to the middle block of three connectors and earth to the earth block.

Sponsored Links
blacks to connectors either side of light fitting wires as was before and connected the two reds to the middle block of three connectors
The two blacks, in this setup will be the Neutral, and the switched return. Check that the wires of the fitting itself, are connected to these. Therefore you should have the following:
A connector with a "black" and one of the wires to your new fitting
Another connector with a "black" and the other wire of your new fitting
Another connector with both reds.

Which position (left, middle or right ) each of these connectors are, is irrelevant. It may be dictated by which are connected to the wires for the fitting.

Right! two cables. Cable A comes from CU or another ceiling rose. red 'live' to 2nd terminal block in rose. black 'neutral' to 3rd terminal block in rose.
Cable B (switch cable) red 'live' goes from 2nd terminal block in rose to 'com' on switch. black 'switched live' goes from L1 on switch to 1st terminal block in rose. The lamp wires are brown to 1st terminal block and blue to 3rd terminal block.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back