Light not turning off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I changed an old 3 way light switch in the hall way. It controls 2 lights in the hallway and 1 on the landing.
The landing light now will not turn off.
If I disconnect from the 3 way switch and just use one of the 2 single switches on the landing it works fine.

Sorry for the bad terminology and description.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
How it should be wired if following normal convention is one cable for each light and normally there is a slash across back of the switch defining each switch within the three gang unit. As long as one wire of each cable goes into com and the other into either L1 or L2 it should work.

However still within the regulations many things are done including sharing a feed wire. Once one leaves normal convention then testing is the only way forward.

All I can suggest is a picture of back of switch. We may see something which shows us what is wrong. Try to show wire groupings i.e. which wires go into which cables.

Also back of switch so we can see markings. Some switches don't mark as Com but mark the same terminal as L1 makes it easy if we know how it's marked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back