light scratches on stainless steel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know how to get these out?...they are on a couple of things including a cooker.

cheers

Sponsored Links
I have had some stainless steel worktops recently, and the chap I got to make them said to remove scratches you need, the backside of those sponges you use for washing up.. you know the ones with a plasticy scratchy green side?

work it along the same way as the grain of you stainless steel, you may have to do all of you cooker, ?? as he said you might see where you have given it a going over,

my advice you be to test on a inconspicuous area.

please remember, this is his suggestion, he's been making things out of steel for over 20 years, so I think he knows his stuff.

hth

wilse

Obiviously depend how deep the scratch is,I've been told you can use a '00' steel wool with T-cut,(used to bring my old Mini car chrome bumber sparkling !) but as thewilse said "my advice you be to test on a inconspicuous area" first.

Sponsored Links
Polish the whole surface lightly with Johnson's Baby Oil. Apply with kitchen roll. It will come up like new!

The light scratches will still be there but the stainless steel will be so shiney :cool: that you wont notice them!

How deep are the scratches?

You need an abrasive thats just not quite as big as the scratches.
Then you need one slightly finer.
.........and finer.
........and finer.
.......and finer.
......and finer.
.....and finer.
....and finer.
...and finer.
..and finer
.and finer.
till they've gone.

wife not noticed scratches yet...I'm going to try the baby oil idea first tonight before risking the abrasive...on the cooker

p.s. scratches caused by dropping scouring pad from 2 feet.....not very deep at all just noticeble if you are looking for them....isn't everything.

thanks alot

have you removed the scratches form stainless steel? i have some but on stainless steel dishwasher door and steam oven door.

i doubt cheesesarnie will reply, that was the last post which was made in November 2003, your origonal question is in the apliances section.

edited by me to add:

you can always "check" "Notify me when a reply is posted" box which you can get to by going to your post and clicking the
icon_edit.gif
button

Using Sandpaper 150 and 400 should do the trick. First start off with the 150 and lightly sand across the scratches and/or damaged area. then use the 400 to give a shiny finish.

N.B : This will leave a groove in the steel so it's wise to sand paper the whole surface back to keep the same texture and shine.

Well I suppose it depends on what you mean by shiny, but if the surface is fairly good with just a light scratch 150 may do to start, but when it comes to polishing I have used 800 compound and it gives a dull surface, then 1200, 4000, and 6000 before I would call it shiny.

Suitable compounds are available from a car spares place, and get a range of polishing compounds, they are fairly low cost and effective.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back