light switch and cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a question about the siting of light switches. My in-laws have asked me to install some kitchen cabinets for them in their utility room. The problem I have is due to the depth of the cupboard its side would cover an existing light switch, if pushed right up to the wall (which is where they want it). the potential solution we came up with was to cut a hole in the cabinet side, and then fix the switch on the inside of the cabinet so it looks seamless there (if that makes sense?). my concern is that on cutting the cabinet I expose the wood/chipboard interior and then this would be exposed in the recess that holds all the wiring. I assume this could be a fire risk and may not be allowed? Is there a way this could be done -perhaps covering the wood by pulling the back box forward? I just want to know if this is feasible whilst in the planning stage.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Deeper backbox would address your concerns about chipboard and electricity, tbh if they're happy with the aesthetics of a light switch in a cupboard then either plan would work. You can get extra long screws for faceplate if you need them

Sponsored Links
or a plasterboard back box. But I vaguely recall building regs say appliance switches must be attached to fabric of building. That said, the last sparx who did work on one of my rentals fitted a switch to the inside of the cupboard.

Brill. So it seems feasible. I'll be asking an electrician to do it when it comes to it to make sure it is safe and there are other switches higher up which i'd be scared to touch!
Good to know there are ways to do it, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back