Light switch On Metal Cabinet

Just to muddy the water you could fit a 12v relay to switch the 240.
I think it needs a special relay to ensure that no mains gets to the 12v?

we use a contactor in a workshop where the key switch powers up the mains and acts as a panic button to kill the supply

Sponsored Links
Just to muddy the water you could fit a 12v relay to switch the 240.
I think it needs a special relay to ensure that no mains gets to the 12v?

we use a contactor in a workshop where the key switch powers up the mains and acts as a panic button to kill the supply
Where does he get the 12v from?

Potentially a transformer. (Even a battery)
Keeping the stated worry of mains voltage away from the metal cabinet.

However there can be (afaik) an issue with a standard relay being able to feedback 240 onto the 12v side

Another alternative could be

I have used them to control shop fitting lights intended to light a lecture Dias once a week.
The advantage over a relay is that they switch on/off via remote but don’t rely on voltage to stay on.

Well today a solution was sorted, last night I ordered a 2 gang wireless light switch kit from amazon which promptly arrived this morning.

IMG_20221105_134004.jpg

Wireless receiver wouldn't fit nicely inside the dry lining box so I mounted it on top.

IMG_20221105_141625.jpg

Light and box fitted,

IMG_20221105_141633.jpg

Wiring tucked neatly into box,

IMG_20221105_142242.jpg

Cover on/ finished installation,

IMG_20221105_144359.jpg

And the doorway which presented the issue, with the new wireless switch nicely mounted.

Overall I'm happy with the solution and thanks to everyone for their suggestions, I didn't know such a thing existed before this thread, now just another 9 lights to wire up but they'll probably wait until after the ceiling is plastered.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback but I'd love to know what advantages you have over the cheaper option in this crude sketch.

1667662639741.png

That's a deception of the photo, with the cabinet squared up in its final position there's not even 5mm of brickwork there to mount a conduit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back