Bathroom cabinet light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bathroom corner cabinet above my wash basin where I want to install a low voltage 12 v cornice light on top of it (about 1.9m above floor level).

The electrician left a 240v spur coming out of the wall just above the cabinet for me. The plan is to connect a low voltage transformer and secure it on top of the cabinet which in turn will be connected to the low voltage light. The light it self does not have a switch so I need to connect a miniature pull cord switch (like this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LY2242.html ) where the pull cord comes down on one side of the cabinet.
Can I put the switch before the transformer on the 240v side, or must I do it on the 12v side?

Is this configuration (especially putting the transformer on top of the cabinet) ok to proceed with or it is not in line with the regulations?

Thanks,
Aryl.[/url]

Sponsored Links
I have a bathroom corner cabinet above my wash basin where I want to install a low voltage 12 v cornice light on top of it (about 1.9m above floor level).
Which Zone is that in?

Can I put the switch before the transformer on the 240v side, or must I do it on the 12v side?
It must go on the 230V side.

Is this configuration (especially putting the transformer on top of the cabinet) ok to proceed with or it is not in line with the regulations?
That depends on the answer to Q1, and whether the transformer, the switch and the light are suitable for installation in that Zone.

If they are, and it is done competently and safely, then it will comply with the regulations.

Talking of which, are you aware that this work is notifiable?

I have verified the bathroom zone map, it is in Zone 3.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back