wiring under cabinet lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add wiring to supply some low voltage under cabinet lights.

I was thinking of taking a 2.5 mm spur from an existing socket that's on the ring. It would then go through a 20A DP switch and up to an unswitched 13A socket above the cabinets which the transformer would plug into.

Is this a valid solution?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
why dont u just take a fused spur off the ring main and wire the lights straight into that with a 3 amp fuse

The lights I was looking at are prewired with 13A plugs. It seemed logical to install a remotely switched socket rather than chopping the plugs off and hardwiring them.

I haven't actually got the lights yet. I just wanted to get the wiring in place so that I can finish the decorating.

where is the 20 amp switch going? u installing this?
better to install a fused spur with a 3 amp fuse and then
u can take it up to a socket if u wish to plug in ur tranny.
remember to fuse the plug at 3 amps too tho

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the input.

The 20A DP switch would be in the wall effectively working as a light switch.

I was working under assumption that if I install a 13A socket then it should be wired to support 13A even if I know the load won't be anything near that. Thus the 20A DP switch. I could well be wrong.

I was trying to avoid having a switched FCU in sight as a plain switch would look neater.

It is frowned upon to have 13A sockets that can't actually supply 13A particularlly if they are (or may become through furniture moves) easilly accessible.

what you propose in your original post is fine and done in kitchens all the time.

i can see your point. do use 2.5mm to your socket but remember to fuse down for your lights at your plug top

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back