Bathroom cabinet with lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm currently re-doing my bathroom and before i start tiling i need to ask a question, i am replacing a mirrored cabinet that goes on the wall.

The new one says supplied with a 2 x Low Voltage Halogen bulbs
Lights need to be wired into a switch following the IEE Wiring Regulations,

I have a cable coming out of the ceiling that wired into the old cabinet but this had its on small pull cord switch and light etc all built in,

What do i have to do to get these lights to work with a separate switch to the ceiling light?

Thanks
Jose

Sponsored Links
You have a few options. For example, you could wire the transformer into the existing supply (clearly this should be sited in zone 3 or beyond) and then fit a pull switch into the cabinet on the low voltage side of the transformer. As long as you ensure the switch is capable of dealing with the current (remember that on the low voltage side of the transformer this is going to be relatively high) then this provides a simple solution.

Otherwise, you will have to install another pull cord somewhere in the bathroom and take a supply from the existing light fitting, unless of course the existing cable is long enough to reach your new switch location. The easiest way to do this will be to bring a permanent supply to a new pull cord, where you will then join the neutral and earth connections in separate terminal blocks to another outgoing cable onto the transformer. The two live connections between the supply and transformer will go through the switch itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back