light switch auto-off after set time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a simple light switch (retrofit to existing switches) that allows the circuit to be cut after a set time so as to switch the light off?
The scenario is to remove the need to have to go up several flights of stairs when the kids leave the landing lights on at the top of the house

Sponsored Links
there are various types, i have used these before

BUT what switches are being replaced - Single gang, is it 2 way ?

Or i guess you could get a smart switch , but you may not have a neutral available - so choice maybe limited

there are various types, i have used these before

BUT what switches are being replaced - Single gang, is it 2 way ?

Or i guess you could get a smart switch , but you may not have a neutral available - so choice maybe limited
have used these in various locations. This is what is needed.Thanks

Smart bulb, most smart bulbs default on, so if switched off with an app, switching off at switch and back on means it switches on.

The bulbs I use can have an off time set, or can use app, so makes it simple just swap bulb for smart bulb.

Sponsored Links
There are more attractive and less bulky electronic delay switches available which do the same job as the Elkay BUT many of them require a neutral to be available at the switch position, which is often not the case with standard domestic lighting circuits. The Elkay ones do have the advantage of robust simplicity, even if they are rather bulky and unattractive.

Is there a simple light switch (retrofit to existing switches) that allows the circuit to be cut after a set time so as to switch the light off?
The scenario is to remove the need to have to go up several flights of stairs when the kids leave the landing lights on at the top of the house

It sounds like you do not have the usual staircase switches.

Fit LED lamps. The power used is so slight that it would be an extravagance to buy new switches in the hope of saving a fraction.

How many hours of light would you have to eliminate to save £21.59 worth of electricity?

There is a fairly cheap pneumatic push button. Push the large button in, light goes on, then after a time button pops back out. Time set by a grub screw.

Another way is an 'occupancy switch' which uses a PIR. Fitted in place of a switch, if some one walks by the switch in the dark the light goes on, then turns off after a preset period.

There are more attractive and less bulky electronic delay switches available which do the same job as the Elkay BUT many of them require a neutral to be available at the switch position, which is often not the case with standard domestic lighting circuits. The Elkay ones do have the advantage of robust simplicity, even if they are rather bulky and unattractive.
Even Elkay do (or, at least did, and I doubt that has changed) offer an identical-looking one which, if I recall correctly, does not need a neutral (which, in itself, can be a problem with LEDs).

However, if the OP is concerned about the amount of energy used when lights (one hopes LEDs) are unnecessarily left on (one presumes only occasionally), than the energy consumed, 24/7, by any electronic switch may well also be an issue for him.

Kind Regards, John

It sounds like you do not have the usual staircase switches.

Fit LED lamps. The power used is so slight that it would be an extravagance to buy new switches in the hope of saving a fraction.

How many hours of light would you have to eliminate to save £21.59 worth of electricity?
6 landings, a stair well that is 16m from top to bottom. Kids on top level leave the light on it permeates down onto other levels and is annoying if you happen to have gone to bed and the light is coming through around the door. Its not about money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back