Light switch stuck in ‘on’ position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have a light switch in our hall (4 gang). The first switch is stuck in the on position and we’re not sure what it’s for.

Does the fact that the switch is stuck in the on position mean whatever it controls should be on? We have a PIR sensor outside and suspect that this may control that (which in turn controls the flood lights).

I replaced one of the old flood lights with a new LED one, but still it did not come on. I’m wondering if this switch will need replaced completely to test this properly.

A530CFEB-7DD5-4E79-A6CB-66742C33C34F.jpeg

Sponsored Links
We have a light switch in our hall (4 gang). The first switch is stuck in the on position and we’re not sure what it’s for.
Ok.

Does the fact that the switch is stuck in the on position mean whatever it controls should be on?
Probably but not necessarily; it could be part of a two-way system.

We have a PIR sensor outside and suspect that this may control that (which in turn controls the flood lights).
Ok.

I replaced one of the old flood lights with a new LED one, but still it did not come on. I’m wondering if this switch will need replaced completely to test this properly.
Just swap the wires of the stuck switch onto a different switch to see what happens.

It's not possible to tell from the internet.

If the switch is stuck (ie it wont move) then it needs replacing anyway. And brass fittings are sooo last century!

May be worth having a peek behind and see if there are any wires connected to that switch. Turn power off to the lighting circuits before removing the switch plate , as Forrest Gump said "you never know what you gonna get".

Thanks for the input!

So I after adjusting the PIR sensor lux sensitivity, the LED floodlight came on. Problem is, now it won't turn off haha.

The light switch stuck in the on position I can confirm works, and acts to allow the PIR sensor to work. I tested this by removing the wires from the first switch and placing them in the second switch. After a bit of googling, I was able to adjust the PIR sensitivity, then the light worked. So now I am trying to figure out why the light will not switch off.

Sponsored Links
Looks like the PIR just has a really long timer XD, think we're all good. And yes, will be replacing those brass fittings, going for smoked bronze, much more modern looking :).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back