Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have redecorated and want to replace some light switches
The switch is a 3 gang switch
- left controls the outside light
-middle controls downstairs toilet
-left controls the hall light

The hall light is also controlled by a switch which is 2metres away.
The switch 2m away only works when the right hand switch on the 3 gang is switched on

We want to replace the 3 gang switch with a 2 gang switch (which would operate the outside light and toilet) and so the switch 2m away would be the only switch for the hall light (this is wired 2 way just now)

But the old switch is wired as you can see below with L1 L2 L3 labels but the new switch is labelled Com/1way/2way

Can anyone advise what I should do?
Cheers
DFD456D3-D93C-461A-A6FC-9CAEB5ED27FD.jpeg
top view of old switch
85B945E8-01AF-4B83-AF84-65F819960BF5.jpeg
Bottom view of old switch
4A2742CC-4804-4DE4-A635-5ED75E2A0D39.jpeg
new switch
6472D061-EA35-4999-B34D-41FCF76D3913.jpeg

Sponsored Links
What wired should I not connect, from the 3 gang switch to 2 gang. (And can I just insulate with tape and leave disconnected?)

What does the wiring look like in the hall switch you are keeping?

Are you sure getting rida of one will not be a PIA?

Sponsored Links
It’s a new switch with common 1way 2way connections.
Currently wired to the 2way.

What wired should I not connect, from the 3 gang switch to 2 gang.
The one(s) which are in the gang which currently never does anything.

If you do not have a gang which never does anything then obviously removing and leaving unconnected the wires from it will not leave you with a system which works in the same way it does now.

(And can I just insulate with tape and leave disconnected?)
Insulating with tape is a no-no, firstly tape doesn't insulate properly, and secondly it falls off. The safe way to deal with ends of wires not connected to terminals is to put a piece of choc-block on the end.

As for leaving disconnected, then as above - if you do that then you will not end up with switches that work properly. You cannot simply disconnect the wires from one of a pair of 2-way switches and expect the remaining one to work as a 1-way one.

It’s a new switch with common 1way 2way connections.
Currently wired to the 2way.
Basically you're going to have to choose between Plan A and Plan B.

PLAN A:
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.
There are some irresponsible people here who will tell you that there is a Plan C, which is to start trying different things without really knowing what's going on, hoping to get it working by luck, or by blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without any idea as to why. Please don't listen to them - you must know what, and truly understand what, you are doing.

Electrical-installation-by-guesswork is a foolish idea.

There is no Plan C for anybody sensible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back