Combining PIR functionality with basic switching

Status
Not open for further replies.

2scoops0406

Hi,

I was wondering if any clever bod could help me with the following. I am having a new driveway laid that has drive over led lights embedded into it. I want to incorporate a 2 gang switch in the garage in order to control the illumination of the LED lights in the following way :-

One switch (lets call it Power) will control the overall power to the lights, the other (lets call it PIR) will be used to control whether or not the lights are PIR activated or not. I've added a table below that describes what the behaviour should be depending on the switch positions

|-------------------------------------------------------|
|..........Switch...............|.........Result...............|
|--------------------------------------------------------
|....Power....|....PIR......|..................................|
---------------------------------------------------------
|..OFF..........|...OFF......|..lights are off..............|
|..OFF..........|...ON.......|..lights are off..............|
|..ON...........|...OFF......|..lights permanently on.|
|..ON...........|...ON.......|..under PIR control......|
---------------------------------------------------------

Anyone any suggestions how I can achieve this?

Many thanks Ed.

Sponsored Links
there is an easier way. you can get pir's that if you turn the mains off/on in quick sucession will then keep on the light that is connected to it.

that way if you leave the switch on, the pir will work as normal if you turn it of the lights won't work, and if you switch it off/on quick the lights will come on and stay on

Breezer write slower....maybe I'll get in before you..... :(

Sponsored Links
i actullly read the post a while before i posted, had to have "tea break" :cool:

Thanks for the posts :D ,

I've got one of these PIR's but it is always difficult to get the thing to work properly usually entailing me turning the thing on and off like a madman only for the PIR to re-activate. In addition to this the PIR seems to react differently depending on whether or not is is dark outside.

So while a good and valid suggestion, can it be achieved using 2 switches :?:

yes, nut its still easier with a pir, you also can adjust the darkness sensativity, i have got several of these

only need to switch off/on once

Hi

Going to annoy everybody now:

Whenever I fit PIR controlled lighting, I always fit what I call an override switch which is a bog standard one way switch.

Common to live feed, L1 goes to PIR output terminal.

This way, when the switch is down, the lights are perm on and when the switch is up, they work through the passive.

If you need this switch outside, you can use eg MK masterseal etc...

please note forum rule 20

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back