PIR plus switches to force off/on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have some security lights installed, 3 lights and a separate PIR. However there are also 2 switches - one overrides the PIR to turn the lights on, the other turns them completely off.

The ON switch must be making use of a permanent live in parallel to the PIR switched live, and I assume the OFF switch is an isolator, but what might that circuit diagram look like?

Sponsored Links
I'll happily make a guess at the circuit but can I ask why you wish to know? and additionally are the 2 switches together on one plate or totally apart and where do the cables run relative to all of the fittings?

I'll happily make a guess at the circuit but can I ask why you wish to know? and additionally are the 2 switches together on one plate or totally apart?
Mainly I was curious, partly with playing around with smart switches and stuff I was coming across a similar sort of situation. Lighting gets complicated fast in my experience as you add multiple switches, etc.

And yes two separate switches. It's handy because you can force it on for a BBQ, but also you can turn it off for maintenance or if you want to look at the stars - we're out in the country with no street lights.

Various wiring methods, but

First switch
Input - power
output - to PIR and input of second switch

Second switch
output - to lamps.

Sponsored Links
This is the basic set-up:
upload_2020-11-4_13-52-52.png

However the position of devices within the circuit are by no means fixed, for example the lights can easily be connected on the grey and black wires at the switch.
The switch marked isolator may only be single pole, in which case it is not adequate as isolation for maintenance.

EDIT:

Crossed in the post again.

Thanks guys appreciate it. Practical electronics is really interesting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back