PIR Override question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are close to the end of our extension work and we are hoping to have 3 lights along our side passage that will be triggered by movement but also to be turned on (overridden) by 2 switches, one inside and one outside.

Unfortunately due to contract conditions I am not allowed to talk directly to the electrician subcontractor and the architect knows as little as me about electrics (not much).

I am aware that some lights that come with built in PIR sensors have a manual override functionality that is activated by switching the lights on and off. I presume the wiring for this setup would just be like any other lighting circuit. The PIR responding simply to the off-on sequence to turn it on and disable the timer.

I am also aware that if I used a regular lamp and a separate PIR that there is a wiring technique that will enable overriding.

However the light that I like, the Philips June PIR, a combined light and PIR is not advertised as having a manual override function.
http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/162469316/mygarden-wall-light

My question is if there is any way to wire this to get the override facility?

Or is the only way to have override with a light that has override built in or having separate light and pir?

I appreciate there are quite a few questions about this already but I've struggled to find one answering this particular question.

Thanks for any help!

Tom

Sponsored Links
It would appear not to have the override feature.

Therefore you would need an additional core from switch to light.

However, you may not be able to access the relevant terminals (at least without dismantling) to do what you want.

Yes as above, the manuals are not very helpful. It might be possible to modify the fitting depending on the ratings of the relays, but doing such things is never recommended. Can you change the type of light? Most of the ASD brand PIR lights have a separate switch terminal for overriding or controlling several lights from the PIR fitted in one of the lights.

I see, thank you both for the clarification. Yes we can change the light. I just have found very few that seem to provide the override feature. There was one at B&Q that had mixed reviews but mostly I've only seen large floodlights that have it.

I shall checkout ASD, are there other brands that you can recommend, either with the override built in or with accessible terminals. Preferably of a more modern design.

Thanks, Tom

Sponsored Links
I don't know about other brands, I like ASD as they are well designed from an installation and maintenance point of view. Most manufacturers only focus on what the thing looks like and don't care about the poor sod that has to fit the thing.

Could you not opt for a two way light switch one a physcial switch and one a standalone PIR unit, with timmer and then use non PIR lights in the alley way.

Thank you very much for your advice. Bit time pressured so I've decided to go with 3 of those F4 Hylite Mightylights with PIRs. If I remember I'll try to report back on how successful they are.

Best, Tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back