PIR Lights - Manual and Automatic Overrides

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

A simple question - could someone please explain the difference between manual and automatic override on PIR lights?

I want to install one that can be overridden to stay on, but I'm not sure which sort (or both) would require a switch in the house.

Thanks in advance...
R1

Sponsored Links
never heard of automatic over ride on pirs, some have the ability to stay on if you switch the supply off then on within x seconds

Breeze

I think he means a manual override that can be reverted back to automatic operation.

Welcome back btw, hope all is well with you.

r1 -

some pir's can be overriden as breezer says by switching the on/off switch - usually briefly to override (this is why sometimes these lights stay on after a power cut) and then to revert back to auto you switch off for a few seconds then back on. The light will still come on when you restore the power but will go off after time-out.

If you want to do it manually, then you can by running a T & E to a suitable location and connecting it to a 1G1W switch. At the other end, one goes to the live feed terminal, and the other to the switched live (lamp) terminal. Don't forget to sleeve the black (blue) in red (brown) and the bare earth in green/yellow.

Alternatively, if you are installing a system from scratch, you can do it this way:

Connect the supply via a switched spur. Take this feed to a single pattress with a 1G1W switch on. Then run a 3 core out to the outside. The live in from the spur goes to common, along with the live out of the 3 core.

The switched live of the 3 core goes to the L1 term of the switch - and N's & E's go together. Now you can use this 3 core as a bus cable - taking it round the house, tapping off for PIR (s) or light fittings. PIR would use all conns, lights just switched live neutral & earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back