How to manually override PIR in Wickes security floodlight?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just moved into a new house and it has a Wickes 500W security floodlight with PIR similar to one shown in the link:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/702837

Mine looks the same as the one in the picture although it's 500W. How can I occasionally manually override the automatic PIR control so it stays on all the time. I think it's probably possible because sometimes it does stay on. I saw a similar light in B&Q and that can be overridden by switching it off and on within 5sec of first turning it on.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Just having a break from eating and drinkin'.

If your light has a Pulsed Manual Override feature( like the one in the link) then - during night time only - if you switch off the power then on again quickly the light will stay on.
It will reset to normal operation when it get daylight again or if you turn power off, wait 30 secs, and then turn on again.

If it doesnt have pulse over ride you've two options:
you'd need to do some rewiring
or
get a new lamp that has this feature - they are cheap enough..

Merry Xmas

Thanks, I tried that but it didn't work. It's just that the light does sometimes stay on so I wondered if there was some other way of getting it to do that.

Like you say, they're not expensive.

Sponsored Links
It's quite common for these type of external fitting to have the "on/off/ on /off" facility.

Try again, but rather than doing a quick on / off try a few on off's.

Fitted one's that need between 1 x "on/ off /on" and 3- always within a set duration of 3-5 seconds. try some random morse code via the light switch.

Since you say it sometimes stays on- it must just be a matter of getting the sequence right :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back