light switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have problem with my ceiling light switches. the bedroom, living room, kithcen and bathroom lights will only switch on when the hallway ceiling light is swichted on. I have tried swapping somw wires around, but to no avail. The switches are mixed - one 3 gang with 4 +2 wires, two 1 gang with 3 wires, and one 1 gang with 4 red and one yellow wire (?). Can anyone point me in the right direction without me paying a fortune for an electrican? many thanks.

Sponsored Links
it started since I thought I would be clever and change all the switch covers (from white plastic to stainless steel) myself. I have since realised that I have mistakenly replaced a one-way with a two-way - would this make a huge difference?

no. what wires do you have and we will try to help (and where are they now)

Sponsored Links
i've been told (on another forum) that the problem lies with the hallway light, as this appears to be controlling all the others. They said the wires in the rose must be incorrect - but I haven't touched those - I think it's the ones in the switch, it's a 2way(ie with 3 holes) with 3 red wires, and I'm not sure which goes where.... thanks

as you said it can be in the rose if you havent touched it.

unfortunatly it will be trial and error (even if you get an electrician) since they are all red, very sorry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back