Light switching itself on....

I replaced all the faceplate sockets in my home although they weren't that old (all dated 2004) some were sparking/crackling and not making proper contact when the switch was operated.

I replaced them all with brushed steel BG (British General) faceplates. The one in our bedroom used to switch on on its own and is actually now stuck in the 'on' position. I can operate the switch back to 'off' but when I let go, it flips back to 'on'. One in the extension occasionally sticks, too.

I wonder if your switch is suffering the same problem.

Sponsored Links
I replaced all the faceplate sockets in my home although they weren't that old (all dated 2004) some were sparking/crackling and not making proper contact when the switch was operated.

I replaced them all with brushed steel BG (British General) faceplates. The one in our bedroom used to switch on on its own and is actually now stuck in the 'on' position. I can operate the switch back to 'off' but when I let go, it flips back to 'on'. One in the extension occasionally sticks, too.

I wonder if your switch is suffering the same problem.
Thanks for the response. The light fitting in question is relatively new, and after operating the switch it always remains in that position. Until, that is, I leave the room and forget about it, whereupon something as yet identified exerts some kind of physical influence. It actually switched itself off the other day, after I decided to leave it permanently on.

So, I give up.

Thanks for the response. The light fitting in question is relatively new, and after operating the switch it always remains in that position. Until, that is, I leave the room and forget about it, whereupon something as yet identified exerts some kind of physical influence. It actually switched itself off the other day, after I decided to leave it permanently on.

So, I give up.

Bizarre! I'm sure I remember an old episode of "The Secret Life of Machines" with Tim Hunkin, in which switches were discussed. I don't remember self-activating switches being discussed!

The only way to eliminate the switch as causing the issue would be to buy a brand new one and leave it switched off.

Then wait and see if it gets switched on. If it does, then at least you know it ain't the switch!

Sponsored Links
Seems there is an alternative to hey google turn on the lights
have you got a cat?

I have had lights turn themselves on, many of my bulbs default on, so with a power cut they turn on, my Energenie light switches default off, so do not come on after a power cut, but the TP-link (Tapo) are battery powered so not affected by power cuts, in the guest bedroom we use a stand alone bulb Lampandremote.jpgso they can turn lights on/off from in the bed, but this also default is on, so if the guest did not realise there was a remote control, it would make them wonder about light switches, as normally left on, but bulb off, so turning it off would do nothing, but turning it back on it would work.

We also have two doors in the bedroom, but the one direct into toilet never used, we have furniture against it, did have it where the furniture had moved slightly and pushing on two way switch.

Mother old house it was simply a loose wire in ceiling rose.

I love the Nest Mini's as at least if wife shouting at them, she is leaving me alone!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back