Light up switches for kids toy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build a panel of light-up switches for my spaceship mad 7yr old son. I've found some that I like the look of. Advertised as 1.5A, 250VAC. Ideally I'd like to build a load of them (let's say about 20) into a panel so he can use them like a control panel.
I'd naturally use an RCD to protect him from any problems.

Can anyone give me advice as to how to wire the switches?
I'd like them all to light independant of each other (though any additional advice on how to make switch A dependant on switches B and C being on would also be useful info).

My experience level - not a total novice but not far from it.
Many thanks
TonyWig.

Sponsored Links
why not get some 12volt LED versions, and use a transformer - so much safer, and more colours!!

I would be very supprised if they are 1.5amp lamps, probably this is the maximum switching voltage/current??

Thanks - you are right - probably safer.

Any good places to get the 12v LED stuff from? Any advice on how to go about wiring this stuff up? what if I wanted, say, 20-30 LEDs on a "panel"?
ANY advice welcome.

Just link them together in parallel. Show us a switch on the net that you fancy, and we could draw a diag.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to be dim. Am I looking for a switch with an LED in it or a switch that would seperately operate an LED. i assume one switch can operate more than one LED too.

why not have separate wsitches and leds, as was said you could get differnt coloured leds (more fun) also you can get "bezels" for mounting the leds.

if you run the leds from 12v dc each would nedd a 1k resistor in series.

you can get all the above from the comfort of your pc chair (including flashing leds (that donrt need a resistor) from Maplin lots of nice colours too

TonyWig said:
Any good places to get the 12v LED stuff from? Any advice on how to go about wiring this stuff up?

See if you have a RS or Maplin store near you:

http://rswww.com/
http://www.maplin.co.uk/

The customer service people in the store should be able to show you what you need, and any tools, etc needed to put it all together. Maplin in particular may have a kit that does exactly what you want.

Maplin will probably also have some little kits to make lights flash in sequence.

you can buy flashing leds as these have a slight difference in tolerences they will eventually flash out of sequence with each other making for a random "computer panel" flashing display

apologies to breezer i see you already mentioned the flashing leds :oops:

no apology required :D

but as i did mention flashing leds, it works out cheaper (or it can) if you buy a "kit" and use the leds from that, although you will still need bezels

i have used
22559i1.jpg
this to make a set of traffic lights operate in the uk sequnce, amusing but totaly useless, but it did look good with a set of genuine UK english traffic lights

and before you ask , no i did not pinch the lights, they did however come from the back of a lorry (van actually)
I intercepted them on their way to the skip, as they had been in an rta and were replaced (i did try and sell them on e bay once , so if any one wants them....................)

Put them in your front garden, and watch the police arrive in droves....!

Thanks but I am struggling enough with my project without getting arrested. Perhaps if I master it I'll work on a "police stop" sign for the back window of my car :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back