2-way switching with one-gang and two-gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I'm new to the forum, having just stumbled across it. Seems as though there is a wealth of info here so decided to join. I'm a DIY-enthusiast; present project is conversion of attached garage into additional room. I've encountered a problem with the lighting which I may or may not be able to resolve with some patint guidance!

This morning I had a one-way single gang switch controlling a single ceiling rose. (The light's supply comes from the structurally-attached kitchen). Today I've removed the ceiling rose and replaced it with a fitting. I've also fitted an additional light. Both light fittings are contolled by the single gang switch. However, what I'd like to do is replace the 1-gang switch with a 2-gang (one switch to control each light). In addition, I'd like to add a 1-gang switch at the other entrance to the room to control just one of the lights. (The reasoning for this: When I enter from outside I can use the single-gang to switch on the light closest to the entrance door for illumination, and once I reach the other end of the room I can use the appropriate switch on the double-gang to switch it off - I should add that the former garage is now being used as the main entrance to the house).

My question: How is this achievable?!!

I have an idea how to do two-way switching with single gang switches operating one light, but the incorporation of the 2-gang switch and additional light is confusing me!

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
First question; what wires were at the original light?

Was there a permanent live supply at the light (in the loop terminal)?

Hi Sparkwright. I honestly can't answer either way. The lampholder was broken when we moved in so the light didn't work. I removed tge damaged old fitting and replaced with a ceiling rose, but that was close to two years ago, so I can't honestly remember the original configuration.

How many cables have you at the light fitting, colours and termination would also be helpful?
Also the same question for the switch plate?
Then we stand more chance of making sense of your particular set up.

Have you looked at wiki? Lots of useful info on lighting circuits there, and some pretty pictures!
Click on the link below.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

Sponsored Links
How many cables have you at the light fitting, colours and termination would also be helpful?
Also the same question for the switch plate?
Then we stand more chance of making sense of your particular set up.

Have you looked at wiki? Lots of useful info on lighting circuits there, and some pretty pictures!
Click on the link below.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting[/QUOTE]

At the moment all I have is the T & E supply from the kitchen.

I decided yesterday to remove the lot and start from scratch!

This is going to be more complicated than I anticipated. Think I'll stick to one-gang switches!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back