Condensing light switches?

Here it is in linear form which is easier to understand:

upload_2017-6-28_22-29-3.png

Sponsored Links
Just one more alteration:

3. Remove the live link between switches in Switch 1.

It's on EFLI's diagram but not numbered.

That doesnt look too difficult to do.
I'm working away today and tomorrow so I'll have a crack at it over the weekend.
Thank you both again, i'll report back with how i get on and will make sure to number/label the wires in case i mess up some how ;)

Ok so now i have...

Switch 1 - single switch which controls outside light
Switch 2 - double switch which controls toilet light and both hall lights
Switch 3 - single switch which controls both hall lights

Switch 2 turns on & off both the hall lights.
Switch 3 turns on & off both the hall lights.

However, if i turn the hall lights using one switch and then try turn them off using the other switch, what was the entrance hall light, stays on. Any ideas where i went wrong?

Sponsored Links
Switch1
s1.JPG

Switch2
s2.JPG

I tried disconnecting the neutrals (blue & black) on switch 1 but this prevented the outside light from working.

In Switch 2:

You need the blue that is currently in the common terminal with the yellow moving to the terminal with the other blue.

I thought you said it was staying on permanently before you moved the wire?

EDIT. If you remove that blue wire and just make it safe with a terminal block on it, when you restore power is the entrance hall light on or off?

Last edited:
No not quite, sorry my fault for not explaining fully.

Before moving the wire i could turn on and off both the hall lights using switch 2. I could also do the same using switch 3. However, if i turn the lights on with switch 2 and then try turning them off with switch 3, only the main hall light goes off.

I thought you said it was staying on permanently before you moved the wire?

EDIT. If you remove that blue wire and just make it safe with a terminal block on it, when you restore power is the entrance hall light on or off?

If I disconnect the blue wire the entrance hall light goes off and no longer works from any switch.

If the Live and SL are in actual fact the other way round to that in EFLI's diagram, then instead of being in the terminal with the other blue, it should go with the red in the bottom LH terminal.

Spot on! It's now working perfectly.
Again thank you both for all the help, its greatly appreciated ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back