Lighting a new extension, spur or extend radial? Plan attached.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have a medium size split level 3 bedroom home and have just finished an extension which has increased the kitchen, added an extra study room and bathroom.

Question is, do I need to find the end of the 6A lighting radial circuit and extend from there, or can I spur off of the existing kitchen pendant? Does it make a difference? I know I should keep the wattage of the entire circuit below 1380W, but does it change if I spur off instead of extend the radial?

At the moment, I'm planning on running a spur from the existing kitchen pendant (closest power feed) to power 8 LED downlights in the kitchen, 4 LED downlights in the bathroom, 1 extractor fan, and 1 pendant light in the bedroom. Outline is attached, what are your thoughts? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20221002_134715~2.jpg
    IMG_20221002_134715~2.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
A spur applies to a ring final circuit only.

There is no concept of a spur on any other circuit, as the cables have a higher rating than the protective device.
The lighting circuit can be extended from any point, provided the same size cable is used and the total load doesn't exceed 6A.

Question is, do I need to find the end of the 6A lighting radial circuit and extend from there, or can I spur off of the existing kitchen pendant? Does it make a difference?
Either; it doesn't matter.
Spurred would mean the lengths to the end of each branch would be less but not that important for lighting.

I know I should keep the wattage of the entire circuit below 1380W, but does it change if I spur off instead of extend the radial?
No, all the same.

At the moment, I'm planning on running a spur from the existing kitchen pendant (closest power feed) to power 8 LED downlights in the kitchen, 4 LED downlights in the bathroom, 1 extractor fan, and 1 pendant light in the bedroom. Outline is attached, what are your thoughts? Thanks.
It's a bit confusing but doesn't really matter as long as all done properly.

Try and avoid junction boxes if you can by spurring from the lights instead.

Our definition of a spur:

"Spur. A branch from a ring or radial final circuit."

Either; it doesn't matter.
Spurred would mean the lengths to the end of each branch would be less but not that important for lighting.

No, all the same.

It's a bit confusing but doesn't really matter as long as all done properly.

Try and avoid junction boxes if you can by spurring from the lights instead.

Our definition of a spur:

"Spur. A branch from a ring or radial final circuit."
Thanks for the info!

What do you mean by try to avoid using junction boxes by spurring from the lights? Where it says "J" in my diagram I plan to use Wago connectors in a Wago box, mount it and zip tie to to make a maintenance free "junction box". Is that not the correct way of doing it?

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by try to avoid using junction boxes by spurring from the lights?
Connect your new cable in the light rose.

Why have you a junction box here?
It is the same in the big room and possibly in the other room.
1664720182979.png

Where it says "J" in my diagram I plan to use Wago connectors in a Wago box, mount it and zip tie to to make a maintenance free "junction box". Is that not the correct way of doing it?
It is correct for fitting junction boxes but if they are not necessary then do not use them.

For some reason DIYers love junction boxes.

Connect your new cable in the light rose.

Why have you a junction box here?
It is the same in the big room and possibly in the other room.
View attachment 281257

It is correct for fitting junction boxes but if they are not necessary then do not use them.

For some reason DIYers love junction boxes.

Oh I see, so for the two light pendants just use a 4 terminal ceiling rose instead of a junction box, while for the other two downlight connections using a Wago box is fine?

To be honest I guess I just thought using a proper junction box was better practice but just using loop in ceiling rose for the pendants makes more sense

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back